Sign in to follow this  
Bugler

GP Extreme help!

While detecting with his GP Extreme, a friend of mine said the machine just went quiet on him and would not respond after that. He has checked the battery, the connecter cable, the headphones and nothing shows any problem. The only thing left to check is the coil. He was using the 8" Minelab coil.

Are there any Extreme users out there that have run into this problem? What was the remedy besides sending it in to Minelab for service? He checked the two batteries he has which are the old style dome top Minelab battery and 4hr small dome top battery. Both indicate power.

Any thoughts?

Thank You,

Bugler

While detecting with his GP Extreme, a friend of mine said the machine just went quiet on him and would not respond after that. He has checked the battery, the connecter cable, the headphones and nothing shows any problem. The only thing left to check is the coil. He was using the 8" Minelab coil.

Are there any Extreme users out there that have run into this problem? What was the remedy besides sending it in to Minelab for service? He checked the two batteries he has which are the old style dome top Minelab battery and 4hr small dome top battery. Both indicate power.

Any thoughts?

Thank You,

Bugler

The head phones will go dead. Also change out your power cable, one of the speaker wires (wires that power the head phones) or the power wires could be broken. This is the only problem I have had but have had the same problem with the GP3500.

Onion Gold

The power cable is the first thing to suspect - they do eventually fail.

However there is another possibility: if your friend did not get the coil in right to the plug, and the unit was on with no coil properly connected, it will be fried. It is a little known fact that if you put power to these units without a coil connected, a diode gets burned out in seconds. Minelab can easily repair it, but if thats the case, it will have to be sent in.

Chris

Hi Bugler, to many possibilities to say for sure. Chris and 2ozdug gave some good advice. I had a similar experience with my GP a couple years ago. I was humming along, swinging my coil, when---silence. Checked everything, swapped everything with good parts, nothing worked. I sent it off to Dick at Minelab. I got a call from one of the techs there who gave me the bad news. Two diodes and one and a resistor were fried. He claimed it was caused by a certain aftermarket coil, and that he had seen it many times. They "upgraded" the parts to prevent future problems and returned my control box N/C. THANK YOU MINELAB! I don't really buy the story about the coil because I had used it for more than a year without a problem. I suspect it was more like what Chris described. Even a loose connection with momentary open circuit can create a spike that can easily kill most electronics. Have you friend swap everything, one at a time. If that doesn't work, call your dealer or Minelab directly and arrange to have it repaired. Good Luck. Later...Jim P.

Chris and Jim P.,

Thank you both for your thoughts on my friend's detector. We are going to search out each idea and then send it in if all else fails.

It's great to get on here and have interested folks respond.

Hope prospecting gives you many more rewards!

Bugler