Hey Guys,

Just got back into town last night from a prospecting trip to Oregon. Every year Gerry McMullen with "Gerry's Detectors of Idaho" gets a great group of guys together for a prospecting adventure. I have become very fond of the guys that attend, and have made some great friends.

The weather on this trip was miserable... as it rained most of the time we were there. Digging a hole in the mud on a steep hillside, while the rain is dripping off your face is crazy. However when time is limited, you have to make the most of whatever nature throws at you.

I was able to break in my new 4500 on this trip, and I love it. Glad I made the upgrade. This trip I was swinging a 5x10 "DD" coil. It ran very smooth and quiet.

Running a DD coil is fairly new to me, and I am actually impressed at how well running one on a Minelab will discriminate iron. However I can't wait to get back to some of my old patches in Nevada with a large mono coil with this new machine.

Anyways I was able to find 2 nice pieces, one is a 19.5 gram specimen, and the other is a 5.4 gram solid nugget.

We mainly hunted hydraulic tailing piles. I spent most of my time hunting the cobble rows of the thrown out tailings from the old timer's sluice boxes. As you might guess, these areas are trash city. I found several 1/4" punch plates the old timer's left, so I figured anything over that size was thrown out.

The small elliptical coil I was using, did a fine job of blanking out most of the trash. The thick blanket of pine needles made for a challenge in some areas, as I am sure some small nuggets were missed due to them.

My highlight find of the trip was a very nice signal that turned out to be a very old bottle with a cork stuffed in it. When I finally wiped the mud away I could see about an ounce of mercury that is perfectly preserved inside. There is also about a half cup of water. Let me tell you, mercury gives a fantastic signal. What a find! I am going to leave it just the way it is.

Good luck out there,

Gus-

Gus. Nice finds!!. I'm heading north in a few days and should get to Rye patch area on saturday or sunday. I'll be spending a few days in that area and then work my way up to Montana where my grandson is graduating from high school . He's leaving the day after graduation for a detecting trip to Australia with my brother. He's already been there once and got some nice gold. He's hoping to make some college money on this trip.----Bob

Beautiful finds, Gus....And that bottle of merc is very unusual...The speci and nugget are both awesome finds ... Well worth the mud...WTG...Cheers, Unc

Hey Bob,

I sure wish I could break away for a trip down to Nevada this weekend, for a chance to finally meet you, but I don't think I will be able to. The weather is suppose to be nice!

Will you be packing a new 16" NF Advantage coil, or perhaps the prototype?

I am dying to get one of those on my new 4500.

Best of luck to you and your Grandson on your upcoming detecting trips.

Thanks Ron, cheers ;)

Gus-

Gus. Chris has that prototype coil, but i'll be bringing lots of my old faithful NF coils along. This is sort of a prospecting trip, but also a sightseeing trip. Betsy has never been to Nevada so we'll do a wander through eastern Nevada and then across Hwy 50 (americas loneliest highway) up to Lovelock and Winnemucca. will be in that area for 4 or 5 days , then on to Montana. ----Bob

Great stuff Gus, WTG!

- Lunk -

WTG Gus.

Sometimes the other stuff you find detecting is cooler than the nuggets found, the bottle is a solid memory you can put on the wall and tell your kids/friends about.

DigDeep

Gosh everyone... To reply Gus's post regarding to the "Prospecting Trip To Oregon"

with Gerry McMullen. I just got a pre- published issue of Western & Eastern Treasures

Silver & Gold 2009 issue... I will hit the newsstands in May... However, on pg 26 is an

article by Mr. Garry McMullen...

Then even before I opened my latest copy of the Gold Prospectors, on the cover

was Alyssa holding out her brand new two ounce nugget find. Gosh, I could almost

reach out and touch it... Then on pg 8 and 9, there are photos of Chris at the Nugget

Finder factory and Montana Bob busily recovering gold in the El Paso Mts

(Hey Bob please save one for me to find!)

Then in the mail I get my lastest copy of Lost Treasure... I see many more arizonaoutback

posters finding good stuff...

Then there is Gus smiling away on the cover of ICMJ...

WOW... This is very impressive... It looks like a good year coming up...

Jim. A good year indeed!! While many complain that the goldfeilds are getting cleaned out , guys like Gus , Lunk , Gerry keep coming up with great finds. Some from the most hammered patches in the U.S. . A great attitude and fantastic detectors and accessories continue to turn up plenty of gold throughout the western goldfeilds. Those who are just getting into nuggethunting should take note. They are not too late to achieve the same kind of success that these guys enjoy. As Alyssa showed , even the busy housewife who only gets out once in a while can find that once in a lifetime nugget, and that one was from one of the more well known areas. ----Bob

Thanks for your comments Guys,

Bill,

It was nice getting to know you better. I was bummed you had to leave early.

You left right as the weather started to change, Friday and Saturday actually turned out to be pretty nice.

See you again soon, probably out there in the desert.

Gus-

Here's another pic Gerry took of that specimen, fresh out of the ground.

Looks kind of like a chicken sitting on a nest of eggs. :lol:

Hey Gus nice pieces of gold you got there.

I live in Oregon and am just curious which part you were detecting in?

Great post!

Alan

Gus, thats a great pic. of the chicken /egg speciman. Those gold quartz nuggets are My all time favorites. I used my 11'' DD in old dredge piles in Alaska and found some nice big nuggets . The old dredge at Jack Wade creek near Chicken had one inch holes in the tromel screaning. There has got to be some big nuggets left behind in the tailings. I liked your article in the last issue of ICMJ. Keep im coming Gus.

Harry

Great post!

Alan

Hi Bearkat4160, I live in Rogue River, Oregon and do some detecting. I would like to get together and do some detecting around the area, let me know if you would like to get together.

Digger Dave

Great post!

Alan

Hi Bearkat4160, I live in Rogue River, Oregon and do some detecting. I would like to get together and do some detecting around the area, let me know if you would like to get together. Here are some pic's of gold I have found

Digger Dave

Hi Alan,

We were in the Baker city area. In fact we stopped by the US bank there and checked out the gold nuggets they have on display. Unbelievable! They must have close to a million dollars on display in just gold value alone. That Armstrong nugget is a beauty, almost 7lbs.

Thanks for your complements on the Article Harry. I too like the White quartz specimen pieces.

I would love to be able to make a detecting trip to Alaska someday.

Nice looking Pieces Digger Dave! Thanks for sharing with us.

Gus-

Hey Gus, you have again made some pretty nice finds!

Now with regards to your chicken/egg specimen, which came first, the chicken or the eggs???

Gary

Hi Bearkat4160, I live in Rogue River, Oregon and do some detecting. I would like to get together and do some detecting around the area, let me know if you would like to get together. Here are some pic's of gold I have found

Digger Dave

Hey Digger Dave,

Im in Ashalnd...yeh lets do some detecting man, sounds good to me. Never have found an Oregon nugget yet. All mine from Cali or Ga.

Need an Oregon one for collection.

See u soon...

Alan