Sign in to follow this  
rtj3

Manhattan & Round Mountain, NV areas??

Just curious if anyone has ever spent much time out at either the Manhattan or Round Mountain, NV areas and if so, had any luck? I have been contimplating taking a drive out that way from Vegas for some time now but wasnt sure if its really worth the 4 hour or so drive. The research materials, various publications, etc., that I have talk about the enormous quanities of placer gold that was recovered there in early days and it sure sounds like it could be promising but who knows?? Any feedback you could share would be much appreciated?

Thanks!

Bob

Rtj3. Round mountain is gone. It has been leveled and heap leached for the micro gold and is in fact a huge hole now as they dig into the earth that was under the mountain. Detecting possibilities are pretty much non-existant at Round Mountain itself. Part of the Manhattan area has gone that way too but there are miles of tailings west of town that might have possibilities although I have been skunked there every time I've tried. Incredible amounts of rusty junk anywhere near the old workings. Nice place to visit though with lots of history. I'm sure some nuggets have been detected there by the very patient prospectors.----Bob

Just an FYI to add to the district... Checked into the area recently debating a vacation trip near there and every square inch of the area is covered in claims still. Some heavy hitter companies too that don't mess around. Even Exxon has claims there.

I have detected the Manhattan area numerous times. It's tough going but there is gold there. One has to be at least half mountain goat to navigate the dirt piles and there is a fair amount of rusty junk. All the nuggets I found (five, that is) were mixed with country rock; the one pictured was by far the "purest." It is 3.8 dwt and the only one I still have. I found it with a Lobo Super Trac; in fact all five of the pieces I found were found with the L-ST. As stated above, the entire area is under claim; I got permission to detect there, but the main claim has changed hands and I understand the new claim-holder is not so accomodating.

DaveNV. Nice nugget. Nice to see some Manhattan gold. I knew it was there but I have little patience for the trash. Thanks for showing us the pic!!----Bob

Well unfortuantely it sounds like round mountain is pretty much out of the question now and Manhattan may be heading that way as well. But after seeing the gold that Davenv pulled out of the Manhattan area it looks like it may still have some possibilities yet. Nice gold Dave! Thanks for the input guys.

Bob

Thought I'd dumped this photo, but ran accross it today. These are all the nugget/specimen I found at Manhattan, Nevada. Not a lot, but still a thrill to find native gold.

Regards,

Dave

Here's a pic that was posted to one of the forums awhile back. This shows some of the gold that the big boys are getting out of Round Mountain. I would guess they hit a nice pocket to get this out in two hours.

Digger Bob

Here's a pic that was posted to one of the forums awhile back. This shows some of the gold that the big boys are getting out of Round Mountain. I would guess they hit a nice pocket to get this out in two hours.

Digger Bob

WOW! ....Thats insane!! Using heavy machinery is one thing, but how would you like to stumble across something like that while out detecting?? I couldn't imagine! I'd probably drop like a rock just from the shock of finding it!! :D

Bob