Sign in to follow this  
Goldarnit

Rating the Minelabs, 1-10

Just to get an overall, though maybe rough, perspective. How would you experienced users rate each on a scale of 1-10. Lets just say the 4500 would be a 10 for comparisons sake. Average ground if there is such a thing.

Extreme

I would say the 2200 is a 8 1/2 and the 4000 although I've only listened to a 4500, I would say the 4000 is a 10 in my book. I like the way it runs, no chatter from our cell phone towers, runs dead smooth, and it has volume, something the 2200 lacks, it goes deeper, for a fact. in this heavey mineralised soil we have up here. The 4000 would have been perfect, if it just had a back lite screen like the 4500. There sooo close in what they will do, I will be interested to see what the 5000 holds, It sure would be nice, if you colud load your own soft where in it, a disck that would come with it, so you caould peak and tune it, run a dianostic, before you sent it in to see if you were wasting Minelabs time, or you tweak it your self. My opionGrubstake

Thanks for your thoughts Grubstake. I know there are more people out there who could contribute to this. Come on guys. Your perpectives mean a lot to us newbies who may be in the market for a used minelab. Thanks. :)

Yeh, Montana knows his stuff, if him or any of the old forum members would chime in, you could get a better drift of what they will and will not do. Most of my detecting has been in this ground up here, its way more mineralised than the desert, I have detected rich hill and out at Rye Patch, but this ground is the worse there is. I'm sure Rob Allison and Leaverite will bear me out on that. I'm sure you could prob. have a larger range of settings with the 4500, but the 4000, will run dead smooth here, even with cell towers only a mile away. I just would have liked to have seen a backlite screen on the 4000, with my eyes its hard to see, without one. It would have been a big + for me anyway. Grubstake

well I'm talking the old green 2200sd. But I run a pocket rocket battery and an amp on it, along with a push button grond balance handle. Grubstake

At one time all those detectors were rated #1, when they were new and just came out, each one was #1 or a 10 on a scale of 1-10. but as time and technology progressed so did the detectors, So if you have been running a VLF and you went to the 2100, the 21000 would be a 10 on your scale. But if you have up graded as the detectors came out and used or owned one of each, you could certainly tell the differnce, a 4000 is a giant leap over the 2200, because it allows you to detect in ways you couldn't before,the same prob. appplies to the 4500, I just haven't run one, only listened to one in the field. But In my book the 4000 was the leap that was really a big one. Grubstake

Just to get an overall, though maybe rough, perspective. How would you experienced users rate each on a scale of 1-10. Lets just say the 4500 would be a 10 for comparisons sake. Average ground if there is such a thing.

Extreme

OK. I'll stick my neck out and see who chops it off. :unsure: I never had a 2100, 2200 or an Extreme so I'll rate the ones I've had by your scale with my reasons.

2000 (6) hopeless on small pieces and erratic as hell. The reason they made a killing was because they were the "first" deep seeking detector.

3000 (7-1/2) BIG improvement over the 2000 and stable in comparison.

3500 (8-1/2) More choices for the operator, a decent ground balance switch and an excellent machine to boot.

4000 (8-1/2) The only advantage this had was Smooth timings. It was more prone to EMI and magnetic variances.

4500 (10) The best Minelab I have ever used by a long shot. Lots more choices and settings to suit the environment/conditions/operator ability. Bring on the next model.

Thanks Sandy,

That's the kind of stuff I was hoping for. :)

I have some imput albeit a tad short on ratings . I have the SD2200d and I call it "The Beast". The battery is heavy and it's time consuming to get all hooked up . My solution is to grab my Tesoro LST and go . If I find an area that gives up a little bit I will go back over with "The Beast". The SD2200d takes no prisoners . It is "supposed" to have discrimination but I don't want it . When you disc. you lose small gold . I must dig EVERY target BUT here in the desert your chances of gold are better that a real trashy "peopled" area . So to me you might say that the SD2200d is #1 since it's the only 1 I got .

I loved my SD2200 it was a great machine and I found a lot of gold with it. The only problem was emi and ground noise, I was finding a good amount of gold but the guys next to me would have a hand full of 2.4 grain nuggets and I had a hand full of 1/2 and 1/4oz nuggets. Not saying that is a bad thing but I was missing a lot of gold that I couldn't hear.I would rate it at a solid 8+

I messed with Lucky's GP Extreme he had and listened to it and thought it was a good machine he will chime in on that one more his self.

I love my GP3000 it runs a lot smoother than the 2200 did and I'm able to find smaller gold at some better depth. Also I can work closer to other minelabs with the 3000 so it seems. If there isn't a power line around or a cell tower I can just about keep up with the GPX machines but I think they punch a bit deeper.I would rate the 3000 at 9+

Tomorrow I get my GPX4000, I will get my first chance at running one all day. So tomorrow night I will let you know how that one goes maybe even some pictures to boot!!!

Really what you need to buy is what you can afford. If you can afford a GPX4500 then jump in balls deep and get one, If you can afford a 2200 then there ya go. With that said if you got the cash and try to save money by buying a cheaper unit your gonna buy one lose money when you sell it to purchase the one you should have bought the first time. Just my opinion. Good luck with what ever you get, send me some pictures of the nuggets you find.

I thought I'd wait and see what others thought. The only Minelab PI I never had was the SD2200. At the time I was finding so much gold with the 2100 , I saw no reason to upgrade. Got the extreme late in its short life , didn't really like it , very unstable . 3000 was better , 3500 quite a bit better, but all the GPs struggled on some types of ground, The trouble being I'm sure that there was very limited adjustability, and timing choices. The GPX 4000 changed all that and adjustments could be made when difficult ground arose. The 4500 is even more adjustable for ground problems and EMI and you can run 2 of them very close together if you are running small coils and tune properly. All that being said, I rate the GPX4500 a 10

GPX4000 a 9

GP 3500 a 7

GP 3000 a 6

SD 2100 a 5

GP extreme a 4

SD2000 a 3

Now I'll add here that I found the biggest nugget with the extreme and my deepest nugget with an SD2000 both of which are at the bottom of the list. Found more gold with the 2100 than any of the others, but ran it for almost 5 years and stumbled onto lots of patches that had never had a PI on them before. I would say that more gold has been found with the SD2100 than any of the others, because of its long life with no competition and so many of them that were sold and used during that time frame when the PIs were still in their infancy. Like QLD Sandy said, the SD 2000 was a strange machine. It would sometimes ignore a fairly shallow good sized nugget, then have you digging to China on one the same size a few feet away. It just flat ignored some nuggets that the 2100 boomed on. The most enjoyable to operate is the GPX4500 by far , and the least enjoyable was the jittery , unstable Extreme unless you got one of the few that for some reason came out of the factory on a good day and was pretty stable. No 2 seemed to be alike. For that reason some people really liked them, but a lot of people like myself were unimpressed.----Bob

SD 2000 3.5 I found it unstable and erratic, A sad audio, but it could go deep on the right target, at times I could not get the ground balance dialed in..it's like the dials were not even wired up!

SD 2100 (green) 5.0 Better than the 2000, still not a good threshold, warbles too much for me

SD 2200D serial # 45000 (STILL HAVE) 8.0 Love this one, push button ground balance mod, goes deep, simple, easy to operate, could still pick up a paper staple, audio was TERRIBLE! A sound enhancer is A MUST! as well as a Li-ion battery set up.

GP 3500 8.5 A more solid threshold, more selectivity, the deep/sensitive setting was beautiful, but it would go blank on me sometimes and lock up. I had to turn it off and back on again to continue hunting. The on switch/threshold on one dial was a bad idea. I know ML was running out of room on the end caps and tried to keep it simple.

GPX 4000 10 (STILL HAVE) So far my best machine...FLAWLESS...I was overwhelmed by the switchology available, but once you master it and start playing around with the setting it went deeper than the SD2200D with a Goldstalker 16 inch round coil on a 1.8 gram nugget by an inch.

Other info...I noticed on the SD2200d the threshold was stable in the morning hours, but as soon as the early afternoon came around 2-3 PM the threshold was going berserk. The GPX 4000 was still purring like a kitten with the same coil. I never had or used a GPX 4500...it would most likely be a 10+ Other than knowing it is top dog on the block I cannot say anything more than that...other than I would love to have one! The GPX 4000 and 4500 will take time to master and apply...If you don't like that kind of setup and prefer a turn on and go and or money is an issue a GP 3500 or SD2200 would be the way to go. Guido

Goldarnit. You should be seeing a trend here by now . Long time Minelab PI users are rating them pretty much the same. I wish I had used the SD2200 a little more, but the few times I ran one I noticed the problems that Guido and Grubstake mentioned about the wimpy audio. The aftermarket audio boosters made a great improvement on the audio on this one from what everyone says, but a lot of people have told me that the 2200 was a little weak on the small gold of a gram or smaller. The GPs were all strong in that department especially when run like Guido says with the switches set to deep/sensitive. The 2100, and all the GPs had a strong audio, the SD2000 and the SD 2200 both benefitted greatly with an audio booster. The GPX 4000 is a little prone to EMI problems but some tuning tricks make the threshold smoother than any models before it, and the 4500 has lots of ways to smooth out the threshold . You can get the threshold dead smooth if you don't mind sacrificing a few 0.1 gram specks. They will come back in if you don't mind some peeps and warbles in the threshold when you crank up the settings.----Bob

I am not a particularly 'long-time' hunter (8 years plus),

but I absolutely agree with Qld Sandy and Montana. The 4500

has no peer and anyone who owns one will probably agree.

It is head and shoulders above the 3500 which is a very decent machine and the 4000, an

adequate upgrade to the 3500 but not a world beater like the 4500.

I know ML has another machine in the works but I think the 4500 will

hold its undeniable value for a long time.

Flak

Got my GPX4000 today and only used it for about 4-6 hours but must say to date I got to rate it a 10. Smooth treshold great audio and easy learning curve from moving up from the GP series.