Hey Jennifer!

Someone just sold an older, Second Hand GPX 4000 on Ebay last week for more than the price of a NEW GPX 4500!

Other people have recently sold their second-hand 4500s for more than they purchased them for...

Even a whopping US$12K is not unusual in some places in the world where prices are directly related to demand.

So at $8,600 it's probably a bargain right now for someone desperate to get their hands on one.

And I suspect strongly that the Ebay seller you've spotted is hoping to cash in on the scarcity factor right now.

In fact, if you read the Ebay ad closely, you can see that it's aimed at a possible African buyer.

I was offered AUD$8,000 (Australian) earlier this week for my own 4500. Tempting but not right now. I still need mine.

Crazy times!

Nero_design. The people in under developed countries have just woken up to the fact that a detector can net them more money in a few hours than they could make in years slaving in a sweatshop. Those with relatives in the developed nations have them scouring every nook and cranny to get them a detector. They don't realize that even a VLF would suit them just fine in the initial stages of new patches . -----Bob

Nero_design. The people in under developed countries have just woken up to the fact that a detector can net them more money in a few hours than they could make in years slaving in a sweatshop. Those with relatives in the developed nations have them scouring every nook and cranny to get them a detector. They don't realize that even a VLF would suit them just fine in the initial stages of new patches . -----Bob

Very good point. Are there still restrictions on where you can export certain electronics like metal detectors to? - Terry

The level of demand for the GPX-4500 at the moment is insane. We are getting calls day & night. People all over the globe are scrambling to get their hands on as many units as possible, only problem is Minelab simply can't keep up. Backorders for this unit are many hundreds and it doesn't look like supply will catch up with demand any time soon. I think Montana hit the nail on the head. People living in countries such as Mexico, Africa and Asia are watching the gold price and realize that a few grams equals a week's worth of wages (if not more). Many of these countries have untapped goldfields that have probably never seen a metal detector, especially a PI. Those lucky enough to be in on the first 'wave' stand to fatten their wallets in a very short time.

Maybe we should just fly down there and pick all the setting ducks off the ground for them lol. Fatten our wallets but we would get shot with my luck

Nuggetslayer. If what I was told about some of these new goldfeilds is true, I would be happy to spend a few months there with a Gold Bug. Apparently they don't realize that the first one on a patch will get plenty of gold with older technology , and not just flyspecks. Those of us who were in this game back in the 1980s only had VLFs and it was like taking candy from a baby even with the old stuff. With millions of square miles of potential gold ground , new patches will show up for years. In this case , first one there will find lots of gold no matter what gold machine they have. The information they get about detectors comes from the internet and most of the forum discussions center around the newest machines. I would gladly take an SD there if I was younger and still eager for adventure. ----Bob

Hi Everyone, I had a fellow call me a couple weeks ago telling me he would take 20 GPX 4500's, but I had to tell him good luck, Minelab is now over 1000 units on backorder. I have only 2 SD2200V2's on order and have no idea when I will get them. I don't know what they are going to do to meet the demand. Good hunting all!

John Tomlinson,CET

John's Detectors

I will sell my 4500 for $9000 to the first person who shows up with cash. Seriously. I love it but I can learn to live with my old GP3000 with that kind of money in my pocket. Send me a PM.

Somehow I have a hard time believing people living in poverty in Africa are going to come up with the kind of money these ebay prices seem to show. I suspect something fishy.

Yup..... sounds like a good time to take some profit from my GPX and put the money into some Silver or Gold bullion till the GPX-5000 comes out..

Check out the number of bids on this one, it's approaching $7,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minelab-GPX-4500-Metal...4#ht_776wt_1095

Jennifer

Somehow I have a hard time believing people living in poverty in Africa are going to come up with the kind of money these ebay prices seem to show. I suspect something fishy.

Like Montana said, their relatives who live and work here in the U.S. are buying the detectors as an investment - they'll get a share of the bonanza when their third-world partners strike it rich! :)

- Lunk -

Some dealers have been puzzled about the calls from the oil rich countries like Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Oman etc. . The gold strikes are in Africa but the Arabs hire tens of thousands of African Muslims for manual labor jobs and these Africans working in those Arab countries are the ones buying the detectors and sending them to Africa. Minelab really missed the boat on this one. They could have sold thousands of GPX 4500s just in the last month, But they can't even fill the orders in Australia and the U.S. This isn't good for prospectors in Australia or the U.S. I'm sure Minelab will take advantage of the situation once they get their act together. We may not be able to afford the GPX5000 or even get one if we could afford it.-----Bob

Just sold my 4500 today, via Bob Dansie, and got what I paid for the detector. I may not be in a position to use a GPX for a year. When I am ready to hit the trails to the gold fields I hope to be able to purchase the latest Minelab. If it turns out a new ML GPX5000 is not available there are other machines I will have to consider, i.e., Gold Bug 2, etc.

Don

P.S. Thanks for your help Bob.

I see some dealers are trying to get orders for 10 at a time on 4500's!!!! Gerry's Metal Detectors has a auction on eBay trying to sell them, even though he has none in stock!!! Its item #270444832270 on eBay. Don't seem right to me.

Check out the buy it now price on this ad... hahahah $8,600. Someone's smoking crack.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minelab-GPX-4500-Mine-...4#ht_884wt_1053

Jennifer the reason this deal looks so crazy is because it is after researching this item I can tell you anything that sells at that price was done by A push that means the seller had two fake account and boosted the price to try to get more money. This is done with just E-mail addresses and is sad ebay is working on the problem. I have contacted ebay via phone and they told me that the seller reported this item for nonpayment and now ebay is taking action. You are right lots of crack.