Sign in to follow this  

Hi everyone,

Broke my record big time, I was kicked out of the computer room this morning by Frieda as she tries to clean the place up a bit before we leave. "Go and do something useful" she says, "how about detecting at that spot you always said looks good". Ah well I know better than argue with the boss when she's in a cleaning mood, so I put on my GP hopped on the ATV and went for a wander.

Five minutes in I snagged a beaut 7.1 gram solid bit, and then only 15 minutes ago I got this one. It is a speci, but going by the signal I'd say it has at least 10 grams enclosed. I'll do some weight in air and water measurements and see if some of you out there can help me out with how I have gone for the morning.

When I got back I found Frieda has gone to town to do some errands, I'll let her stew a bit when she gets home; she'll probabaly get up me for quiting so quick! :P

Jonathan Porter

OK I have some figures on that specie,

Weight in air is 38.2 grams

Weight in water is 26.8 grams

Approximately how much gold does it contain? :huh:

Here is a pic of it after cleaning up, you will see there is a fair amount of iron staining, so the results of the SG could be inaccurate. :blink:

Jonathan Porter

Jonathan,

Nice work - that is a lovely specie you got there, seems like it was a good day for detecting in both hemispheres! I am sure Steve will be able to whip you up something based on your calculations. He has spent the last year or two experimenting and analyzing every angle of specific gravity and its' application in determining the gold content in both quartz/gold & ironstone/gold specimens. Actually, he will be publishing a book on the subject sometime next year...

Chris

Well tell him to hurry up, because I'm busting to find out how I did this morning! :P

Jonathan

What a beautiful piece Jonathan! Will we be seeing that one in any upcoming "I want that damn specie" contest!? I'll definately be in on that one! It's too bad you'll be heading out soon, we'll sure miss your contributions. :(

Joe Kauffman

Hi Joe,

Depends on what Steve's result is! :P Hey Chris below is a pic of a book I'm sending over for you guys to read. Hope you enjoy it, it's all about the country where I found my first gold! :wub:

Jonathan Porter

Jonathan,

You're spoiling me mate! I am going to be ready for some serious OZ trivia questions when you come over to the states next winter :)

By the way, is that picture on the front cover of Queensland?

Chris

Thanks a lot for that Steve,

Seems I had a good morning, lets see 9.34 grams for the specie and 7.1 grams for the nugget thats 16.44 grams all up at $18 per gram Au, comes to the grand total of AU$295.92. Thats some very handy fuel money, I should be able to travel with my big rig 1559.12 kilometres at five kilometres a litre, assuming I can get an average of 94.9 cents per litre.

Multiply all that into the 6000 to 7000 k's to get to WA and it will give you an idea how expensive it is becoming to get around these days. :angry:

Maybe I'll stay at home! :P

Jonathan Porter

Sorry Chris I'm a little confused, front cover of Queensland? :blink:

That speci is beutiful Jonathan.

If I could pick up that kind of stuff within 10 minutes of my house while out for morning coffee I'm thinking I wouldn't be going anywhere! Well.... I guess I might go looking. The back yard will always be there when you come home.

Vance