Here is an easy question. Where can I find unbiased comparisons and opinions of metal detectors?

I have read everything from the speculation "Garrett detectors have not changed" to the probable lie "I bought a $59 Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter) and walk behind a person with a $2K White's and found the coins he missed"

Myself, I am new to metal detecting and thought I would find good information amoung the many prospecting websites and forums. I eventually came to the conclusion that there seems to be only opinions between the detector enthusiest, meaning whatever detector that person owned was the best make and model.

Newbie,

For an honest evaluation on the various metal detectors for nugget hunting check out akmining.com and search for Metal Detecting and then for Nugget Detector Opinions. Hope this helps.

Hang out on the various metal detecting forums and read actual accounts from the people that are out there using the machine you wish to investigate--NOT the accounts of the people that are selling them. Ask lots and lots of questions, as it's going to make a huge difference on how and where you're using the machine--conditions vary greatly as do the demands and requirements for the various detectors being used. It's kind of like asking which computer is best--it depends on which application you want it for/which functions you want it to perform--metal detectors service a wide spectrum of needs too. So, hang out on the forums that address the uses you think you'll need (coin, beach, gold, underwater, whatever) and you'll soon have a pretty good idea of which machines will accomplish what under whichever conditions. The beauty of the Internet is that freedom to say what you really think has done away with a lot of the advertising hype that used to go unchallenged in magazine and television ads--the person that swings a metal detector today is truly free to let prospective buyers know what really goes on in the field with any give machine that's pitched by any given company.

All the best,

Lanny

Well here is my 2 cents.... Any detector is only as good as the person running it. You can take any opinion from an expert and not get the same results with the vary same unit. No matter what you choose it takes time and most of the time instruction on how to run your machine because conditions change and you have to change with them. There are many good detectors on the market and depending just what you are going to use it for depends on how well it will perform. In my opinion there is no perfect unit for every purpose and if you buy one to use to try and coin, relic or nugget hunt in the end you will be dissapointed most likely. Buy a machine for exactly for the purpose you are planing to use it for. Buy what you can afford because you usually get what you pay for then learn from someone that KNOWS how to use it if you want to be successful, then practice, practice and practice somemore. We all dig junk and we ALL miss targets. Hope this helps.

Ron

Where can I find unbiased comparisons and opinions of metal detectors?

This is actually not a simple question in any way. There so are many different field conditions - the mineralization of the soil, the amount of electro-magnetic interference, the nature of the gold you are trying to detect, etc. Under one set of conditions, you get one set of results, but with another set of conditions, you'd get a completely different set of results. Tell me what results you want from the test, and I'll design a test that gets you those results!

The old question: which detector is best? is not a simple easy question.

On top of that, your detector is a tool and a tool is only as good as the user. If you give me some brushes, paint and a canvas, you wont be impressed with the results. Give the same paint and brushes to a talented artist and the results might be very impressive. Your detector can help you sample the ground to see if a nugget is there, but it cant tell you where to look. No detector can find gold in places where there is no gold.

Welcome to the world of nugget detecting! read through the posts on what detectors the successful guys are using to find gold and that will give you a lot of useful information.

Chris

I am Biased, Save yourself the time and buy a minelab. There is nothing else you need in life. I have used many different types of detectors and will tell you without a doubt I have found way better coins with the Explorer and allot more gold with a GP. I have an E trac now but last summer with the Explorer I pulled out well over 100 grade-able coins, including 25 Barber. The Fisher Garrett and BH I used before that only produced a handful of silver none earlier than 1900. I see allot of people that pick up other machines and are happy with them, I guess it depends on how serious you are.

OIMO(OnlyInMyOpinion), for 'gold only' VLF the Whites GMT(Auto GB), or for less money the brand new GMZ(a type of Manual GB-no TID meaning Target ID on the screen), then the Tesoro Lobo ST(Auto GB for gold but Manual GB for coins-no TID) is also for 'coins'. For a little better multi-purpose('gold-coins') a Minelab X-Terra 705(Auto GB) or Whites MXT(Auto GB), and some also like the Fisher F75 LTD(Grab GB). Also look at the lightest weight unit on the market Tesoro Vaquero(Manual GB-no TID) for multi-purpose. Coins-Jewellery only look at the Minelab 305, 505, or the expensive E-Trac. Also Whites LTD, DFX, or Spectra V3.

Pulse Inductions do not have good discrimination for trash. For gold of course the best is the Minelab GPX-4500 but very costly. So look for a older used GP machine or SD-2100 for about $1000(v2 was about $1200 new before discontinued) or much less, or a SD-2200 for about $1500(v2 is about $1800 new) or much less. Or a Garret Infinium LS or Whites PulseScan TDI.

Head To Head Comparisons

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?board=316.0

I like Findmall Forums to learn about coin machines.

http://www.findmall.com/

Like someone said before, visit Steve Herschbach's site to learn about the different gold machines.

http://www.akmining.com/mine/metal.htm

http://www.herschbach.com/

OK guys wish me luck. After taking suggestions, looking through the different forums, and my wallet. I decided to purchase the Garrett Scorpion for the prospecting I want to do. Thanks for all the advise.

Ace

OK guys wish me luck. After taking suggestions, looking through the different forums, and my wallet. I decided to purchase the Garrett Scorpion for the prospecting I want to do. Thanks for all the advise.

Ace

Look at this also, great reviews on all of the gold prospecting metal detectors:

http://bb.bbboy.net/alaskagoldforum-viewthread?forum=2&thread=349

I think you would be happier with the Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq(AutoTrac GB in All Metal prospecting mode) because the Garrett Scorpion has only Manual GB in all modes and I IMO personally do not like Manual GB as well for prospecting with a VLF. And I think the Lobo(and the GMT which has both AutoTrac and Manual GB) is better but yes more money. Then look at a second-hand used one or save up a litte more. Hope this helps!

The best advice i can give is to do you reserch on what you want to do with your detector, then when you've made your choice, practice with it all you can till it's second nauture .