Sign in to follow this  
Chris Gholson

Change of plans pays off...

Hi All,

I headed out this morning with a plan. I knew where I wanted to detect, but when I got near the turnoff, something in the back of my mind said otherwise. I decided to veer off course and instead revisit another gold-bearing area. I have picked up a few nuggets here over the years, but overall it has never been very good to me. Luckily today would be different. I drove around a maze of dirt roads until spotting a gully that piqued my interest. I didn’t see any obvious signs of placer mining, but the rocks making up the gravels looked to be the right type, so I figured it was worth a quick swing.

The first two signals turned out to be fragments of a rusty can, but the third was golden. It was a decent piece buried about nine inches down on a decomposed bedrock & clay layer. Now that I knew there was gold, I started going real slow and working the deeper ground. About fifteen minutes later I picked up another nugget, this one was considerably smaller, but it felt good to known the first piece hadn’t been a fluke. I continued up the gully for the next two hours picking up a small handful of trash. I was getting near the headwaters and was thinking about turning around and reworking the lower stretch, when I heard a signal beneath a large boulder. I levered it out of the way and was glad to hear the target signal improve. Several more inches down and I was rewarded with a solid, flat nugget which turned out to be the biggest bit of the day. I don’t think there are a whole lot of nuggets left in the gully, but it will definitely be worth a try with a larger coil, just in case a big ‘un is hiding way down in the overburden. Total weight for the day was 10.1-grams. All found with the Minelab GPX-4500 with the Nugget Finder 14” Ellip. Mono Coil.

Wow!! Well done--glad to see that you're still out there detecting!

All the best,

Lanny

Sure hope I'm in the truck with you the next time something in the back of your mind wants to tell you where the yellow stuff is Chris! :rolleyes: - Terry

Chris,

That's a great hunt! Glad you got out and before the storms.

LuckyLundy

Way to follow your nose Chris, congrats!