oakwoodtrucker

what the 4500 cant find the trusty 4000 does

i recently got some settings from one of the forum members..so i decided to go with them...every piece of this gold has had .tdi,s gold bugs..mxt,s and the 4500,s run right over them to no avail..the 4000 sniffed them with no problems...this is all northern ca. pocket gold

Hay oakwoodtrucker,I know what you mean,I like the way my 4000 works on the small stuff & i really like it with the new 14inch advantage coil.

well i run the factory pre set,s in deep mode..couple changes are the target volume at 2-5..audio in quiet..sensitive in smooth...very slow motion..manualy auto tune at 135..aftermarket signal enhancer wide open..you must have headphones with volume controls....ive been using the advantage 12 inch eliptical...coil switch in d/d...and the gain at about 7...this combination is getting the gold

WTG on the new nuggets, Oakwoodtrucker!

Looks like placer gold to me...Was it hard to beat that out of the vein? Pocket gold is a pain to dig out.

the area iam hunting is for the most part pocket gold..all of this was found about 2-10 inches on the edges of the bedrock..alot of what i got i chisled out of the bed rock cracks..there are 3 huge old pocket mines about 50 yards uphill that iam sure in the begaining just rited away and inched on down the gully

Nice gold, Congrats!

There is more pocket gold still sitting in the ground in CA than most folks think.....

Chris

The pocket gold in Southern Oregon and Northern California is the stuff dreams are made of. Imagine finding a junction where many small veins come together providing ounces or pounds of high quality gold. Google "Gold Hill, Oregon Pocket Gold"

I've spend quite allot of time on Foots creek (near Gold Hill) on private claims, where past adits and pocket holes, dug long ago are common, however I've not done well. I keep thinking go deeper - look deeper.

With that in mind this spring I'll be using an 16" round NF and a 15x12 commander on my 4000, you never know, good gold may have been just past the reach of the 14E NF.

I did well with float gold on Tom Martin peak in the Scott River area of Nor Cal. However, I never did find any source pockets. It appears, I'm either not looking deep enough, or maybe the outcroppings have long ago rotted away. Maybe this spring I'll find one. (This area is on New 49er claims).

Use Google Earth and find Tom Martin Peak and look at the patch of mineralization on the West side of the Mountain. A beautiful, very visible outcropping of Peridotite (so I'm told) red earth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peridotite. You may not be a member of the New 49ers, but look also at the same mineralization at the Horse Creek drainage, and many other areas, which are not claimed and on National Forest. I found the best strategy was to locate the Periditite then see if quartz is present.

Apparently Peridotite is the cause of the vast Chromium reserves of the area, plus other trace elements (copper, gold, etc.) brought up from the Earths mantle. The Southern Oregon, Northern California area is one of a few major outcroppings of Peridotite on the planet. The other notable area is South Africa where the diamond fields are found.

No worries, the area is never over crowded, is mountain goat country and since dredging is no longer going on, this year will see even less people.

I believe I read on this forum about false signals in areas with forest duff (leaves, mulch, etc.) If you try an area with lots of false signals, you may want to carry a rake with you and prepare the site before working with the detector.

I'll be in Seiad Valley, CA mid April to Mid May, then I'm off to Imlay, Nevada for a month or two. That's when I intend to bug you all for tips and techniques.

I'm excited about this Spring...

Bill

Good write up Bill!

Oakwoodtrucker, keep sniffing, you should get more! You use the coil switch in DD Mode while using your NuggetFinder 12" Advantage Mono Elliptical. Minelab says right in my GP-3000 owners manual to use Mono Mode when using Mono coils. But yes some people like you use DD Mode for Mono coils instead.

The new GP(X) machines with small Mono Advantage coils now rival the VLF's for small gold.