I am trying to put togeather a trip to Aus., and need any advice that I can get. Anyone with help would be appreciated. So that I am not spinning my wheels. Where to hunt, what to take with me, Best time of the year to go to Victoria. Best place to rent a camper for a few weeks. and any other information that you can think of. Thanks in advance. Doug :unsure::unsure:

Just get a suitcase big enough to fit me in and I will help on the other end.......

Doug,

Now, what do you want to go DownUnder for? There's plenty of Gold in our two States and you'd save a ton of cash staying Stateside. You want to go on a Walkabout, come up this way. I'll give you a pointy finger for a 50 miles hike that's all in gold country!

Your buddy,

LuckyLundy

Just get a suitcase big enough to fit me in and I will help on the other end.......

Steve, If I go, You are more than welcome. Not sure, I need to try and see if I can swing it. I would hope to come back with a little gold. Doug

Doug,

Now, what do you want to go DownUnder for? There's plenty of Gold in our two States and you'd save a ton of cash staying Stateside. You want to go on a Walkabout, come up this way. I'll give you a pointy finger for a 50 miles hike that's all in gold country!

Your buddy,

LuckyLundy

Lucky,I will be 71 next week and I'm not getting any younger. You never know when all this fun will end, Besides that I just think that it would be a hell of an adventure. I might even think of selling the Silver Dog for a trip like that. Thanks for the offer, I hope to see you guys in March. I think that You,Jeff,and El Dorado found all the big ones. :D:D Doug

Hi Doug

Im in Townsville North Queensland Australia, If your going to Victoria I can't help much but if you make it my way I will help as much as I can, Uncle Ron is heading to Townsville in april & Im organising a trip for him, If I can help let me know.

cheers

Lee

Doug . Having been there and done that in my younger years, I would suggest following JPs advice and book one of the tours. The cost of renting a vehicle and getting outfitted properly just might be more expensive than the tour .-----Bob

Doug, you might want to get the new Doug Stone book from Chris. I brought the post back so you could see it...

You might want to check out goldprospectinginaustralia.com.au as well.

What time period are you planning for?

Fred

Doug,

You'll have a great time in Australia. The Big Nuggets are still around in both countries, just get your coil over one and dig it out!

Talk to you soon,

Rick

Here's some quick info for you. First, JUST GO! It is fantastic with or without gold hunting.

I was in Victoria last June & July and had a great time. There are lots of places to detect on public land but most have been worked over pretty well. I was rained out most of my trip but did get a few nuggets. They thought it was SOOOO cold but we never even had frost on the ground (it was winter there of course) Private land give you the best chance to find gold but you might have to hang around a bit to figure things out. Look up Tony at Gold Search in Dunolly and the guys at Coiltek in Maryborough. Both places had very friendly folk. They aren't going to take you to their secret spots but they are a wealth of info. If you want to find gold for sure you might want to book a day tour or weekend. Usually they will take you to some private ground with a better chance of finding something and some great instruction. I met some locals that helped me and it made a difference.

You will find that the people in Aus. are extremely friendly and helpful. It is like the US in the 1950's in many ways. Don't worry much about getting around and feeling comfortable. Besides driving on the wrong side of the road it is really easy to fit in and have a great trip. Really low key in every way. Even Melbourne was mellow but stay away from the crooked cab drivers! We rented a camper van from Britz rentals but they are the same company as Backpacker, and Maui rentals. The rentals can be expensive depending upon what you want to do. If I were going alone I'd just rent a cheap beater van or even station wagon and just live in the onsite caravans (trailers) at the caravan park. You could seriously just show up in Mel. rent a car. Drive 1/2 day to Dunolly area find a Caravan park and be ready to hunt that afternoon. Maybe stop at Coiltek or Gold Search and buy a couple of maps. That is about all the planning you need. The funny thing is the longer you are there the less worried you are about finding gold. It is just a cool place to be. I could imagine showing up and suddenly realizing I stayed for 30 years. By the time I left I felt more comfortable there than anywhere I've been in California! It may be a foreign country but it has to be the one most like the US. OK maybe Canada is first.

My favorite place was the Tarnagulla Caravan park in Tarnagulla. It was $18/ night with electricity, water, laundry, showers and right in the middle of some great gold country. Essentially everybody at the park is a prospector so you will make friends instantly. There were probably only about 15 people in the park when I was there and every night most of them gathered around the fire and drank beer. The whole place maybe has 30 sites. Dunolly (right down the road from Tarnagulla) was my favorite town. Best bakery in Vic. that I found. Replicas of the 2000+ oz. Welcome Stranger nugget and other cool gold realted stuff. These towns are tiny. Maryborough is the biggest in that area and I bet it has less then 10,000 residents. Tarnagulla has maybe 500. Bendigo is the big city and it is about the size of Prescott, AZ. I would defintely go in their winter (June/July) because the weather is cool, there are no snakes (they have the MOST DANGEROUS snakes in the WORLD), and it is the low season so everything is less crowded and cheaper.

There are some great map books that have campgrounds etc. Made by HEMA. They are available lots of places there or you can buy them on the internet.

Air New Zealand had the best ticket prices, GREAT food, and great service. I booked online for the best rates. If you have problems just call and they will walk you through the online booking. You will fly in and out through Aukland, NZ so you might plan a stop there for a day, week or more. The longest leg of the flight was 12 hrs but it was at night mostly so you can sleep and they have all kinds of movies etc. to watch on the screen in the seat back in front of you. Britz was also a top notch outfit. Really helpful.

I hope this gets you started.

Chris

PS. You cannot imagine how hot the ground is there. MY GPX4500 had to run in enhance only. If you are running a GP/SD you will definitely want a DD coil. Big coils work great there. Flat ground.

To those of you who have made the trip to Australia to nugget hunt.

What suggestions would you have regarding packing your detector to make sure it arrives the same time you do. Have you packed it in your carry-on or did you have to put in in your checked through luggage? Is there any other papers needed besides passport and a visitors visa? Any added information would be helpful.

Thanks, Mugsy

Mugsy;

I carried my control box with me when I went to Oz in 2000 and packed it in my bags in 2003...didn't have any problems either time with baggage. I arrive a day early to insure that any baggage or flight mix-ups can, hopefully, be worked out. I break everything down to fit in the one big suitcase that I take...I use my clothes to wrap my coils in; but have relied on others for most coils. I always put the manual or copy of the manual on the top of everything so the seachers can see what is what.

This time I will carry the control box with me, like I did when I went to Alaska in '05...didn't have any problems but they did the sniff test at all the terminals I passed through...

Remember you will lose a day going and get it back on your return...be sure to allow for that, carry a copy of your electronic OZ visa with you...I was asked for it a couple of times...

Fred

Fred,

Thanks for the info. Getting in a day early sounds like a good plan, the way I had it figured was to head out as soon as I arrived there but, as you say, maybe my luggage won't be there yet and I'll have to wait for it to catch up with me. Sounds like a great idea to have extra copies of the visas too. I,ve only had a few problems with luggage going to and from Alaska but can verify it's a bitch when you don't have what you need.

Thanks, Mugsy