Sign in to follow this  
Bugler

Hydroflouric acid

Good Morning,

I live in the Quartzsite area and have found a nice 3oz. nugget (I am not set up for photos). Anyway, does anyone know where I might get ahold of some hydroflouric acid to take off a bit of quartz on this piece? I am willing to travel to someone who has some acid and pay to have this given a bath.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bugler

Good Morning,

I live in the Quartzsite area and have found a nice 3oz. nugget (I am not set up for photos). Anyway, does anyone know where I might get ahold of some hydroflouric acid to take off a bit of quartz on this piece? I am willing to travel to someone who has some acid and pay to have this given a bath.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Bugler

Bugler,If you only want to remove a smsll amount of Quartz from the nugget try using Whink which is a household cleaner sold at Ace Hardware. It contains approx. 1.5 to 3.0 % hf acid.It may take a few days but it works.Follow the safety handling instructions.

Harry

Buglar, hf is very dangerous to use.....if you get any on you, it will eat all the way to the bone! You have to have a special cream to stop the action, regular baking soda won't work! :(

And you can't put the hf in a glass beaker either, it will eat through that......has to be a polyurethane container.

Unless you know what you are doing, I recommend that you stay away from it!

MT-AZ-HP and Waynerboy,

Thank you for the "heads-up" guys. I will give Whink a try. This nugget appears to have a fairly thin layer of quartz over both sides and a nice thick center of gold.

It may be that the lesser acidic product will do the trick.

Good luck in your hunting!

Bugler

Bugler,

To make sure you get the right product, it is call Whink Rust Stain Remover not to be confused with their "Rust and Iron Stain Remover" which contains no Hydrofluoric acid, Whink also has several similarly named products, I will post a link to a list of their products, only the "Whink Rust Stain Remover" and "Rust Flush" has Hydrofluoric acid as the active ingredient and I think the Rust Flush has a higher concentration but I have never used the Rust Flush, check the label for the % info if you decide to try Rust Flush instead.

Wear chemical rated gloves, safety glasses, DON'T GET THE PRODUCT ON YOUR SKIN OR IN YOUR EYES, DON"T BREATHE any flumes, and be sure to have proper ventilation and/or wear an appropriate respirator!

The links..

Whink Rust Stain Remover

http://www.whink.com/product_info.php?products_id=29

Whink Rust Flush

http://www.whink.com/product_info.php?products_id=33

List of products, click on any product for the Hazmat, safety warnings and guidelines.

http://www.whink.com/page_info.php?pages_id=12

Skip

Gold Seeker,

Thank you for the clarification. I'm sure I would have just reached up on the shelf and taken any one of the products called "Whink".

I will give this a shot and let you know how the product worked.

Bugler

Bugler,

Just have a little patients when using Whink, it is a low % of Hydrofluoric and it may take a while to achieve the results you are looking for, you can do it in stages until you get what you are trying to achieve.

Skip

3 ounces… WOW!

I happened to D/L the Material Safety Data Sheets for the Whink products.

It appears the RUST STAIN REMOVER contains hydrofluoric acid while the RUST FLUSH lists hydrochloric acid as the active ingredient.

Bill

Hi Guys ... BillyBedrock is 100% correct. I emailed customer service when I first saw this thread. The ONLY product with Hydroflouric Acid is the "Rust Stain Remover" ... All other products have hydrochloric or some other mix of chemicals.

MIke F

If it were me knowing the weak percentage used by Whink in the product I would use it full strength ... cover the nugget completely and let soak in a well ventilated area ... I would check it a couple times a day until you get the desired results ... but that is just my thoughts on how I would do it.

Mike F

3 ounces… WOW!

I happened to D/L the Material Safety Data Sheets for the Whink products.

It appears the RUST STAIN REMOVER contains hydrofluoric acid while the RUST FLUSH lists hydrochloric acid as the active ingredient.

Bill

OOOPS sorry about the misinformation :blink: , I guess I misread the data sheet, I guess that is why I've never used the Rust Flush!! :lol:

Bugler,

Yes, you will want to use the Whink Rust Stain Remover full strength and until you think the desired results are achieved, rinse well with water and repeat if necessary.

Skip