KidGold

GoldBug II or GoldBug Pro

Hello To All My Nugget Buddies,

I have a question and hope someone can advise me on which would be a better purchase.

I am think of buying my wife either a GB-2 or a GB Pro for a Christmas present.

She brought me a ML 5000 last month and I really would enjoy having her nugget shooting along with me instead of just following and watching me enjoying nugget shooting.

I have heard that both machins are great fun little nugget shooters that don't take a lot of tenichal knowledge to learn and understand in order to use and have fun nugget shooting.

Any thoughs and or advice regarding which detector to purchase would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you.

Kevin

Just a thought... I fully agree with Terry regarding the Gold Bug-2.

However; The Pro is more simple to use than the GB-2... For starters: Just turn the Pro's Gain to about halfway; then the Mode to "O" threshold (dial pointing to about the letter 'E' on the word "THRESHOLD.")

Then push the "GG" and pump/bob the coil until the large Middle screen two digit number closely agrees with the smaller three digit number in the right corner of the screen... then just take your thumb off the "GG" and away you go...

The standard coil is a circular 5-inch "sniper" coil and you and your wife can be a team as she can hunt around the cracks and crevices; under brush and between large rocks.

Moreover, if wished the Pro (with the accessory 11-inch elliptical coil} has a full range discrimination mode and can be used for coin hunting.

Kidgold,

I would buy her a gold bug2 first to see if she likes doing that type of stuff with you first. Because she has a better chance at getting gold with the gold bug2 than the other. Also you can always move her to a minelab later if she likes it.

Good hunting, Road Dog

I read that Steve Herschbach says he recommends new people to buy the Whites GMT and it is the number one selling VLF in Alaska.

The GMT will find small micro gold about the same as the Gold Bug 2 but will find bigger gold deeper. The GMT has both Manual & Auto-GB and the Gold Bug 2 has only Manual-GB. It will drive your wife nuts manual Ground Balancing all the time(about 50 or 100 times a day or so) on the Gold Bug 2. Also the GMT handles bad mineralized ground better.

If small micro gold is not a factor then get a Whites MXT Pro.

The newest model of the Fisher F75 Special Edition is also good to use in trashy goldfields and for gold and meteorites.

A Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq is also a very good choice, and also has better discrimination than the GMT.

Otherwise buy your wife a Whites TDI Pro as a first choice just behind the GPX-5000. AND the TDI Pro uses the same coils as your 5000!

The Gold Bug 2 is the machine for me compared to the Gold Bug Pro. The GMT is the most popular VLF nugget detector here in Alaska as it has both automatic ground tracking and manual ground tracking. Some people just can't seem to get the hang of properly ground balancing their detector, so the auto is a real boon for newbie detectorists. Yet if and when they are ready they can go to manual.

The Gold Bug 2 is a great little unit, but you do have to apply yourself to learning how to use it. I suspect I will have one until I just can't detect any more.

Honestly, if a person is interested in a Gold Bug Pro then track down a Gold Bug SE. They are the same detector and you can get the SE for a lot less while they last. For the price of the Gold Bug Pro I'd also be looking real hard at the Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold for just a few more bucks.

Steve Herschbach

I don't see any wrong replies here Kidgold, however... I owned a Goldbug 2 and whilst I found many nuggets with it and will sing its' praises as to how sensitive it is, I would personally go for the SE or the Pro next time.

Reason.. Being the high frequency detector that it is, it could not achieve any depth in our highly mineralized soils. The lower frequency of the SE and Pro assists in gaining more depth. This was learned from personal experience, in the field, on gold nuggets that were undisturbed and tested with different machines including an (at the time) new Extreme, before we dug them.

So, if you have forgiving ground, a GB2 may be fine, but anything you miss with a SE or Pro as compared to the GB2 would be miniscule anyway.

I see BeerBeeper mentions the MXT Pro. The Pro comes with the larger loop than the standard MXT so if you are going to use it for gold you will have to immediately buy a smaller loop as well. I use the 10"DD on mine and it is very sensitive.

Panther

I read that Steve Herschbach says he recommends new people to buy the Whites GMT and it is the number one selling VLF in Alaska.

The GMT will find small micro gold about the same as the Gold Bug 2 but will find bigger gold deeper. The GMT has both Manual & Auto-GB and the Gold Bug 2 has only Manual-GB. It will drive your wife nuts manual Ground Balancing all the time(about 50 or 100 times a day or so) on the Gold Bug 2. Also the GMT handles bad mineralized ground better.

If small micro gold is not a factor then get a Whites MXT Pro.

The newest model of the Fisher F75 Special Edition is also good to use in trashy goldfields and for gold and meteorites.

A Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq is also a very good choice, and also has better discrimination than the GMT.

Otherwise buy your wife a Whites TDI Pro as a first choice just behind the GPX-5000. AND the TDI Pro uses the same coils as your 5000!

Hi Beer Beeper

You mentioned the F75 above on the goldfields are you in OZ and have you used it much if so could you give so more info in regards to how you think it handles the soil's in OZ, the descriminator capabilities & will it ping the tiny stuff,

thanks

Lee

Hi Beer Beeper

You mentioned the F75 above on the goldfields are you in OZ and have you used it much if so could you give so more info in regards to how you think it handles the soil's in OZ, the descriminator capabilities & will it ping the tiny stuff,

thanks

Lee

gold bug 2 and learn how to use it.. she may buy other detectors later on but she will always be able to use the gold bug 2 till she quits detecting.............joe