We have had so much rain lately that I'm starting to grow gills and of course with rain, especially in summer, comes grass, so we now have so much grass that I won't be able to see the rain for it!!! :lol: Anyway day before Xmas and also while the roads were still open to Traffic I received a parcel in the mail with a nice surprise enclosed. Seeing how it has rained almost non stop since then I've been unable to do anything, so my spanking new Nugget Finder 17" Elliptical coil has stayed in its box until this morning when low and behold I woke to sunshine streaming through my bedroom window.

Now what's an Aussie prospector with rain induced cabin fever going to do on a bright sunny day when he's received a new coil for Chrissy, especially the last day of the calendar year? You guessed it, he's going to see the old year out in style even if it kills him or at least severely dehydrates him anyway!! :lol:

clean.jpg

First thing I noticed with the new coil is the brackets, new material it seems and also no strain relief, I've been assured there are a number of O-rings between the cable and the inner workings of the coil to prevent water ingress so rather than worry about it I decided to rely on the excellent 2 year warranty and just go detecting heavy dew or not.

Grass.jpg

First thing I noticed when switching on is this coil compliments the GPX 5000 really well, nice and stable with excellent sensitivity, so with that in mind I immediately switched to Fine Gold timings and targeted some noisy blood red clay areas that have produced some nice little nugglets in the past, and bingo a zipper response almost immediately.

Theground.jpgOnthecoil.jpg

In no time at all I had a handful of missed ferrous and lead targets as well as 6 little nugglets to finish off 2010 in fine style. To my mind the 17" Elliptical is an all out winner for the GPX series, excellent sensitivity along with nearly as good coverage as my all time favourite the 18" round. I feel the new version Advantage Monos (serial numbers start with NPA) are more stable over the previous models although perhaps a touch twitchier than the Commander 15 x 12" Monos especially in stubbly grass, but the signal response is crisper overall so worth the trade off. It seems the new shielding being used is doing an excellent job with very few pings and warbles breaking through the threshold.

Handfull.jpgOnthescales.jpg

Nuggy.jpg

So that's 2010 done and dusted, I hear there's a NF 30" patch hunting coil about to be released, I have a million places in WA which is still in drought (no grass!!! :lol: ) that need some serious attention, who knows if I'm really good maybe Santa will come again early next year? B)

Happy New Year everyone,

Jonathan Porter

Hi JP,

Your story telling ability comes to the fore once again.

Interesting and easy to identify with.

I have not used the NF Advantage 17 that I own very much.

But from the couple of times I have, it has been an impressive performer.

I am a big fan of Advantage coils these days.

Best wishes for the New Year

and thank you for all that you contribute to our knowledge.

Flak

Hi JP just recently I ordered a NF adv coil from Chris---when I opened the box I noticed right away that the decals were different and the cable strain releif was'nt there :unsure: --I emailed Chris and he told me thats the way the newer NF coils are now :blink: anyways I have the older white version of the 17 elliptical mono SL and really like that coil alot-it has great depth and hits good on the small stuff B) WTG on the gold---Mike C... :ph34r:

Yeah, isn't it actually flooding in Queensland? I saw some blurb about that on tv and they showed houses underwater. Hope it's not as bad as they make it seem on television.

JP

Great story with a great finish. I was able to visit your country this past October and looking at your pictures sure brings back memories that I'll never forget. By the way I really enjoyed your article in the December ICMJ and was wondering how much a lot more was!

While in Australia I used the NF 12" round mono SL exclusively, it's a great coil also. Keep us informed of your adventures, I know that I love to read them while waiting for spring here in the north west.

Keith

Good to see you out "crumbing" like the rest of us JP

Only "crumbing" off my own information Dave me old mate, and hardly a stick to be stacked anywhere. :lol: Your gonna love the grass when next up this way, Snufflers is now a rainforest. ;) Water is running out of every hill and dale and ground noise is now available 24/7 even on the quiet spots and even with the 5000, so I would say my little foray into "crumbing" was quite an achievement don't you think? B)

Happy new year to you and yours and remember, "Don't walk in front of me I may not follow, don't walk behind me I may not lead, just walk beside me and be my friend." :)

JP

PS Apparently some questions have been asked around the traps about this, any ideas? :huh:

Apsley_Rake2.jpg

Thanks for the post JP... I just purchased a 14x9 Nugget Finder (from Mike above actually) and can't wait for it to arrive to get out there on the hills with...(well I'll have to wait for the ground to thaw I reckon as well...haha)....

What brand/model of ATV is that JP? Is it the Polaris Sportsman 550? (insert drooling smilie here)

There's nothing in the Ten Commandments about "though shalt not covet they neighbors ATV" :)

Jennifer

OH.. I forgot to mention..... GET BACK TO WORK ON THE VIDEO EDITING!!!!! we're all JONESING for that new 4800/5000 DVD..hahaha :D

Happy New Year JP, Frieda and kids.

Jennifer

JP. I also ended my year with a hanful of small ones using the GPX5000 , Nuggetfinder advantage , and finegold timings. Our weather has also been lousy , with the farmers who usually can't get enough water pumping water off their feilds which all look like rice paddies. Here at home it's switching back and forth from rain to snow at the moment, but out in the southern Ca desert it felt like I was in Siberia where I was detecting and the ground was totally saturated and depth suffered greatly . Each hole filled with water after first breaking through the frozen layer. Luckily I got over some shallow nuggets. Two weeks ago I was getting great depth on the same ground which was only damp at that time. Congats on your finds!---Bob

Jen the ATV is indeed the Polaris Sportsman 550. Video is being worked on as we speak but the weather is against me at the moment. Rex B the town 100K's south of us (Emerald) was inundated by up to 80%, all that water is now dropping away but is also going to flood one of our Cities on the coast (Rockhampton) which is downstream, luckily for us Clermont is at the top of the water food chain so flooding is not such a major issue.

Bob I had a ball getting those tiddlers so quickly especially after so much rain, grass is now the main issue with barely a spot where you can swing your coil, no problems with anything freezing around here at the moment which is a positive I suppose. :lol: As for noise depth is still present just the extra noise is drowning out the responses, a lot of the issue is rising salts, the bigger the coil the greater the problem. If the targets are mainly shallow and the ground quite mineralised try these settings,

Coil RX, Cancel mode with the supplied 11" DD coil (deals with the conductive component of the ground (salt)

Ground Balance, Fixed.

Timings, Fine Gold timings (deals with the mineralisation)

Gain around 14 (really lifts the tiny nugget responses)

Motion, Slow or even Medium ( there is minimal interference/sferics/EMI to deal with so you can increase this)

Stabilizer, 10 - 12

Audio, Deep or Normal or even Boost if you feeling plucky!!

Response, Inverted (Cancel mode is out of phase so therefore target high/lows are inverted, inverting the response fixes this)

The Cancel mode does knock the outright depth around but no more than what saturated ground does anyway, so is worth a try. Cancel mode has a pseudo monoloop type behavior so any of the Smooth class of timings in Fixed GB are OK to use with it.

Hope this helps,

JP

Thank you so very much for posting your settings when you do JP, it's great for newbies like myself... I've owned my 4500 for a couple years now but still consider myself a TOTAL newbie on it and your tips are highly appreciated.

You haven't happened to have tried an XP coil on your 5000 yet have you? As opposed to running in cancel mode. Do you think your philosophy that you mentioned about it being a tad better than doing cancel still applies to the 5000 (I think it was in your "The GPX Factor" DVD (disk two if memory serves me correctly). (mono mode, normal response etc).

You guys are sure doing great with the Fine Gold setting, good on ya...

Note: If you go out to the paddock one day and your 550's missing.. ummm it wasn't me. ;)

Cheers

Jen

Thank you so very much for posting your settings when you do JP, it's great for newbies like myself... I've owned my 4500 for a couple years now but still consider myself a TOTAL newbie on it and your tips are highly appreciated.

You haven't happened to have tried an XP coil on your 5000 yet have you? As opposed to running in cancel mode. Do you think your philosophy that you mentioned about it being a tad better than doing cancel still applies to the 5000 (I think it was in your "The GPX Factor" DVD (disk two if memory serves me correctly). (mono mode, normal response etc).

You guys are sure doing great with the Fine Gold setting, good on ya...

Note: If you go out to the paddock one day and your 550's missing.. ummm it wasn't me. ;)

Cheers

Jen

Hi Jen sorry I missed your question about the XP coils. I promised NF Australia I would stop talking about them as they are so busy they would never have time to build them. But yes I do feel the NF XP coils (with the switch in the housing not the one inline) offer slightly better depth when in XP mode on the coil and Mono mode on the RX switch of the 5000 or any of GP series machines for that matter. I have used the XP coil with the 5000 and it just purred along right under high voltage power lines and had incredible sensitivity to small nuggets in Fine Gold timings with the GB set on fixed.

Regards

JP