Sign in to follow this  
MT-AZ-HP

5000 settings

Howdy all,Lunk came over to My Dome Rock Homesite this morning and gave me some pointers on the settings of My 5000. After dinner We headed out to the goldfeilds. After about a hour of detecting I came up with My first find with the 5000. The signal was real soft and about 2" down I finally got a piece of yellow metal in My scoop. It weighted in at .1 gm. I was using My 12" E Mono NF coil.Lunk Thanks for the much needed help on setting My 5000.

Harry

Hey Harry,

It was great to visit with you guys and chase some gold today. Congrats again, and below are some pics of the action!smile.gif

post-1546-129548302297_thumb.jpg

post-1546-129548302497_thumb.jpg

post-1546-129548302708_thumb.jpg

Hey Harry -

Congrats!

For the rest of us 5000 users, what were the settings you were using?

(Just curious)

Chris

Hey Chris and the curious,

Front panel: General Search Mode, Special Soil/Timings, Mono or Double D Coil/Rx, Fixed Ground Balance and Threshold at an audible level.

LCD Menu: LCD Backlight 8, Volume Limit 2, General Ground Balance Type, Special Timings/Fine Gold, Very Slow Motion, 18 to 20 RX Gain, Quiet Audio Type, Audio Tone set to personal preference, Stabilizer at 1, Signal Peak at 20, Target Volume 20, Normal Response, Medium Tracking Speed, Iron Reject Off.

As you can see, these are very unconventional settings; the idea is to smooth the threshold as much as possible while maximizing the target response without blowing your ears off! rolleyes.gif Give them a whirl and see what happens...

Hi Lunk,

Those are interesting settings.

Having the Stabilizer down at 1 is especially intriguing.

Have you found that by setting a low number it allows you to run the gain higher?

I have heard that since the Stabilizer is basically a filter that raises or lowers the noise floor

(a low number raises the noise floor), that a low number can filter out some of the signal.

What have you found?

All the best,

Flak

Hi Lunk,

Those are interesting settings.

Having the Stabilizer down at 1 is especially intriguing.

Have you found that by setting a low number it allows you to run the gain higher?

I have heard that since the Stabilizer is basically a filter that raises or lowers the noise floor

(a low number raises the noise floor), that a low number can filter out some of the signal.

What have you found?

All the best,

Flak

Hey Flak,

You hit the nail on the head; IMHO, the adjustable gain is one of the most important performance enhancing features of the GPX series, and my settings approach is to adjust everything else to allow the highest gain possible for any given environment. And all the filters like motion, audio and stabilizer can not completely filter out a signal; when a signal is there, it is there regardless, and it's a matter of getting the most distinct (not necessarily the loudest) target response possible. To me, the smoother the threshold, the more contrast there is between it and a target response, no matter how subtle it may be; as long as the operator is paying attention, it will be heard. In this settings approach, the high gain and maximum amplification via the target volume by far overrides the effect of dumbing down the audio filters. Not only that, but the ultra-smooth threshold and limited maximum volume make detecting an absolute pleasure...you can stroll through a field strewn with tin cans without wincing in pain!biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advise on the settings Lunk. I'll give them a try tomorrow. Hey Harry, glad to see you got

the first gold nugget with the 5000. Hope to see you and Maureen at one of the next club outings.

Matt