Sign in to follow this  
strickman

anyone swinging the gbpro?

anyone swinging the gbpro out there? I have only got to use mine once so far ,seems to work well. It does hit the small gold ,should be real good at sniping. I am in georgia some spots pretty hot ground ,some not to bad. the gg seems to work well . just wondering any body else like or dislike ?

thought I might have hit a touchy subject ,no replies till now. I know most of y'all swing m.l.'s -personally I can't afford one yet. so I went with what I thought was the biggest bang for the buck.had a hard time convincing the wife -so far it has been worth it . I am mainly sniping on exposed bedrock ,some tailings .but so far it does do the trick.mostly smaller gold here -works well on small pickers.I know I don't have the depth of m.l.'s ,but it's better on smaller targets.and should work decent on overlooked hardrock.

Howdy Strickman... A VLF such as the Gold Bug Pro and a PI such as any of the Minelabs can co-exist... You made a good VLF choice... Carefully study the owner's manual, especially about the phase readings and bargraph readings which can help the PI's in selecting areas to nuggethunt. :)

Howdy Strickman... A VLF such as the Gold Bug Pro and a PI such as any of the Minelabs can co-exist... You made a good VLF choice... Carefully study the owner's manual, especially about the phase readings and bargraph readings which can help the PI's in selecting areas to nuggethunt. :)

Hi Jim

I own an SD2200 & am looking at getting a GB Pro to compliment the ML, could you further explain what you mean by the phase reading helping with selection of area's to hunt

cheers

Lee

p.s By the way I'm in OZ

Lee the 2200 is a pretty good machine.

It is not easy for me to explain "phase." It is more related to VLF-type machines and it is also known as phase lag or phase angle and is directly related to target conductivity.

Different types of ground have differnt phase readings; such as for example for the GBPro, wet salt and alkali are known to have a phase reading of 0-1; whereas magnetite and other black iron minerals likely have a phase of 75-95. But also keep in

mind the phase readings will not apply to a PI. Also in this example the phase readings for the GBPro may not agree with the type or color of the soil as seen under the searchcoil.

Gosh, I hope someone reading this thread, such as Chris can explain better than I have... I write slow and with two fingers...

Jim

Hi Jim

Are you saying that generally the higher the phase number the greater the mineralisation (when using a VLF) & would you say that if you pick up an area of higher mineralisation eg phase reading, that it would be a good area to go over with the 2200 ie; higher mineralisation generally greater chances of nuggets about ??

cheers

Lee

Lee... this is not written in stone, but magnetite and other

black iron minerals that are known as black sand usually have

a higher phase reading... In alluvial placers gold tends to be

associated with black sands. If you find this true where you

are prospecting/mining, then concentrate on the areas that

are found to have more iron (ie, magnetic blacksand) mineralization.

Hi Jim

Thanks for taking the time to respond, yes the gold here is associated with black sands, one place I hunt has a large amount of ironstone reef workings with high trash levels hence the need for a discriminating VLF,I know I should dig all targets but I need a better use of my limited time on the feilds, once I start getting little nuggets around the workings I will then dig all the targets.

cheers

hope your year is Golden

Lee

by using the phase readings ,you can basically follow the black sand or follow the mineralization.but always remember THEY ARE NOT THE CODE [OR LAW } just GUIDELINES >>>>>they do help, sometimes people rely to heavily on vdi numbers also .don't fall in to that mentality. use them as a guide - use your gut ! digum all . sometimes there could be a nugget near trash and give you some sketchy numbers as well.

Hi Guys,

I did some testing with the GB Pro here in AZ a few months back and found it to be a good detector. The operating frequency is lower than the GB2, but at 19 kHz it was still plenty sensitive and I found several little nuggets that were only a few grains. I also like that it didn't react to my hand when waving a handful of dirt across the coil, plus the tiny 5" round design is great for scanning bedrock cracks or getting up amongst the cactus. The GG button sped up the ground balancing process and was a nice addition, especially for new users...For what I remember, the 2-digit Phase number is an approximate measure of the type of ground mineralization. Wet or alkali soils tended to be lower on the scale (0-15), while iron-rich soils tended to be higher (40-75). I didn't use the Phase number to determine where I should prospect, but rather as a guide as to where the GND BAL should be set. The machine ran its best when the two numbers were closely matched. The Phase gives a good idea of the type of ground and can be helpful in choosing a spot to detect, but I think it is always best to actually walk the ground and see what types of rocks are lying about.

post-28-129641146991_thumb.jpg