Sign in to follow this  
Dakota Slim

Arizona To Seize Federal Land?

Just read this on the Yuma Sun web site at http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AZ_SEIZING_FEDERAL_PROPERTY_AZOL-?SITE=AZYUM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

"Ariz. Senate OKs bill on seizing federal property

PHOENIX (AP) -- The Arizona Senate has approved a bill to give the state legal authority to go to court to take ownership of land owned by the federal government.

The Senate's 20-9 vote Monday sends the bill to the House.

Sponsored by Republican Sen. Al Melvin of Tucson, the bill is one of many states' rights measures being considered by the Republican-led Legislature.

Under the bill, the state could use the power of eminent domain to acquire federal property unless it was acquired by the federal government with the Legislature's consent.

The land taken through eminent domain would have to be used for a public use that increases the state's ability to generate revenue or helps the state's trust land system.

GOOD for Arizona!!! Stop the federal government from grabbing up for making back room deals to take over lands that belong to the people of Arizona. I hope California and other states follow suit.

Cheers,

Howard

Howard,

You really haven't looked into land use when the state owns the land, have you? If you think that is the answer, well, you must be an owner of a really big mining business or a multi-millionaire who can post huge bonds because that is what most state's require if you decide to prospect.

Go ahead and try to recreational prospect on state land like you do on BLM land in AZ without going through the proper channels and see what happens. Better yet, try to park a camper on state land without permits, etc and see what they have to say.

I strongly recommend you check into your own state's laws regarding your rights on state land. I think you will be shocked at just what few rights you have when compared to what you have on BLM land. Here in Colorado, you are technically trespassing and can be arrested if you step on state land and are not the one leasing the land. Yes, there is some limited areas zoned and opened for hunting, but most state land is closed and leased for other purposes. Once it is leased by someone else, gaining access can be a real problem, if not impossible if the person leasing the land so desires.

Your attitude is a lot like a guy I talked to years ago who had a small prospecting shop in NM, near Ruidoso. He had a couple of claims he used to help sell his equipment. Anyway, the guy wanted me to bring a detector down to see how it worked on his claims. So, we had conversations while we tried to set up a specific time to meet. During those conversations, he would complain about the BLM and how he wanted them off his back and would be so happy once they were. Well, to make a long story short, the BLM turned over the enforcement of regulations to the state EPA and the next day, he was shut down. The state's regulations were so stringent that if he turned another shovel full of dirt without posting a huge bond and making a large number of changes to assure there was no water pollution, he would be arrested and fined. That ended his business right then and there. He got his wish but the results were not what he expected.

So, once you actually check out the laws and your rights on state land as they compare to your rights on BLM land, if you still feel the way you stated, well.....

Reg

This is from a AZ state web site http://www.land.state.az.us/programs/natural/recreation_permit.htm

State Land Department Recreation Permits

Welcome to the recreation page of the Arizona State Land Department website!

Please feel free to browse this section using the navigation bar, for information on Recreation Permits, Terms & Conditions, Places to Go, Latest News, and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Also, you may want to familiarize yourself with the different type of recreation permits issued by the Department & obtain applications by selecting the links below. We hope that you find this page useful and will refer back to it again in the future for news & updates.

Things You Need to Know About Recreation on Arizona Trust Land

Arizona Trust Land is land managed by the State Land Department

Trust Land is not public land!

A recreation permit is required to camp, hike or travel on Trust Land that is designated as open for recreation

A recreation permit is an agreement between you (the responsible casual user) and the Department, to allow limited recreational activities conditional on your continued responsible behavior (see terms and conditions)

Types of Recreational Permits/ Terms/ Fees

For more information about the types of permits click the text links below or select What Type of Permit do I need?

TYPE

TERM FEES

Individual Permits 1 Year $15.00

Family Permits 1 Year $20.00

Non-Competitive/ Non-Commercial Group Permit * Less than 20 people Less than 5 Days $15.00

Event Special Land Use Permit ** 2 / 5 Years Fee Schedule

* Groups of fewer than 20 people may be permitted by a Non-competitive/Non-commercial Group Permit. A complete roster of all permitted individuals and dates of use must be submitted with the application.

** The Special Land Use Permit is required for all competitive and commercial recreation. The application processing fee is $300 in addition to the annual fee which may be adjusted for acreage and impact. A pre-application meeting is required during which a SLUP application will be provided. For more information contact 602 542-2119.

Arizonas favorite use of state lands is too sell it on the quiet to huge developers like Dell Webb corp.. Your favorite prospecting spot may end up a golf course. The worst possible thing that could happen is for the state to take over federal lands. It will end up as a subdivision. State wins big time. They sell the land to Del Webb and then reap the tax money from the home owners . Double win for the state , recreationists are left with shrinking open lands. Bad mouth the BLM and FS all you want but the alternative means NO PLACE to prospect or hunt !!!!----Bob

Golddust,

Why don't you run right out and pay the $20 and then head for state ground and begin prospecting. If one of the state officials comes up to you, feel free to thumb your nose at him because you have your permit and see what happens.

I think you will be in for a rude awakening as to what the permit allows you to do.

Montana is correct in what will really happen if the states take over BLM ground, but I doubt you will believe that. Since I don't have any plans on nugget hunting in AZ any more, I really don't care what those of you who feel like you do to self destruct and end nugget hunting in AZ. So, feel free to support your cause and see what happens. Enjoy the results because it sounds like you voted for it.

Reg

The whole things shows how much time our state legislator is wasting. The federal goverment is not under their jurisdiction and the whole thing will just get squander tax money and court time. The bill is a joke.