Sign in to follow this  
rc62burke

Sampling techniques

Hi All

I am setting up a recirculating sluice setup with a hopper to hold the dirt/soil, the water flow will be directed at the base of the hopper & will create a self feed system, the hopper will be made to take 2 bucket fulls of dirt, classified to say 4mm ( I will check tailings with a Gold Bug Pro, new aquisition for another post ).

The reason for setting this up is so that I can sample the small gullies running into the larger creeks to narrow down the search for patches, I know there is gold about but my limited time in the field requires that I cover all bases, a couple of ours digging sample hole's could lead me to the richest area's quicker.

1. If I make the sluice 600mm x 150mm, how many buckets could I feed through it before cleaning it out??

2. Say if I sample 1 bucket what sort of values would be considered good ???

3. 4mm classified would this be the way to go??

Please feel free to make any comments or suggestions so we can all learn something.

cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

The setup you described sounds interesting, I would really enjoy seeing a photo when you're finished.

I think the number of buckets you can run through the sluice before cleaning it out will be dependent upon the material being processed. Plain loamy dirt would require a lot less cleanups than one heavily loaded with black sands. I would just run a few buckets through of the average grade and keep an eye on the riffles. This should give you a rough idea of how many the box will handle before getting too loaded up. You could also pan some of the tailings just to see if anything was lost.

It's almost the same when talking about the values in a single 5-gal bucket. What is considered good gold would really vary depending on who you asked. For myself, it would be determined by the amount of effort I had to put in to get a bucket's worth of dirt. I could be happy with a lot less gold per bucket if the material was easy digging, rather than if it was hard pack and took twice as long to dig. At today's current price even a small tail of gold per bucket could prove worthwhile.

Good luck with the sampling.

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.

This will be used to sample dry creek bed's in our dry season, it may be moist but not wet,

The reason for the hopper is that I plan to fill it up, then start the pump which will be on a timer (length of time will be worked out during trials) & let it run through it's cycle whilst I am either digging up more dirt or off detecting, some of the larger creeks that the little gullies run into have been excavated & run through a trommel which paid quite well ( not me ), so I'm thinking the source or nugget patches could be tracked down with a bit of had work & sampling, will also do a bit of work with a small hand post hole digger. I will post photo's once it's setup & i'll have a go at a vid.

cheers

Happy nuggets to you

Lee

ps, Chris I recently invested in the, Gold Bug Pro I emailed you about last year, It turned out that Jack Lange, who lives near me imports them now, It cost me $100 out of pocket as I did some Plumbing work for him, I got the best out of that deal, it worked out about the same as you quoted me, I would have bought it from you if he didn't come to the deal, as I really appreciated your help, many thanks (I got the 11" too)

Lee. Thanks for your response to my questions yesterday on the Australian forum. I'll add a little here about some recent experiences in my area which might be helpful . In many different small streams I noticed a distinct pattern. The creeks were worked up to a certain point and then the stream (placer)workings would suddenly stop and the miners started trenching up the slopes on both sides of the stream. Obviously they stopped getting gold in the stream and then started looking for the source. In some cases they appeared to have been succesful as there would be some pretty extensive hard rock mines , in others they apparently couldn't locate any real source where it may have already eroded away. If you are sampling up a small tributary stream getting some color and it suddenly stops, Start detecting up the slopes on both sides. This is basic loaming technique but you may be able to do it much quicker with your equipment than with just a pan.---Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for that info.

Any thoughts of doing another trip down under I would love to meet & detect with a legend once again thanks.

keep finding nuggets in your Cal adventure as I read every post you make & gain a little more from each one.

cheers

Lee