Sign in to follow this  
ColoradoGoldMan

Here is a good one from ML repair

Hi All

Beware of the ML service center in IL.

I sent my trusty GPX 4000 into the the IL repaire center about 3 weeks ago. Never herd a thing from them untill today, It seams my GPX 4000 is totaly fried. Will not power up, or any thing, and a new board is 1100.000. The thing is it was working fine on Thursday, and I shipped it on Friday the next day. To have just the front switchs replaced, The mode select, and a coil/Rx switch EST 95.00. Now that has become 1100. Because my detector is fried some how?????? :o If that is not bad enough They don't have parts to fix anything that old(GPX 4000)?????? :unsure: no telling when they will get them. I asked how did my detector get fried and they just replyed that it was that way when they opened the box. :angry: So I asked what parts failed, reply we have not trouble shot it so we don't know what parts failed but we do know we don't have the parts to fix it :angry::angry::angry: Wasn't the 4000 and 4500 the flagship detectors 8 months ago? Dealers where selling new in the box 4000 a year ago. What realy want to know is how did my detector get fried in the box from here to the service center???? Did some moron there short it out when they plugged it in to checkit out?

Turned the corner don't think so. Not a happy camper.

CH

CH that is not cool at all!!

Wow I would not be happy at all. Sent in for switches and now it is blown board. I would be balistic. I would be on the phone to several other sources to get some service asap. How easy to say that is how it was from the box when you only sent it in for switch's. I would call ML direct and ask for some help. Hope it works out for you and they get you sorted. I know you where just getting to liking that detector. And you are right why would they not have parts for a 4000?

My fellow Colorado man. I can't speak for others or Minelab but here's my take. The technician might of burnt it out. Or probably didn't want to work on it? Labor issues or unhappy workers? Which would explain why others had problems in the past with ML. Or any other scenerio. If I was in your shoes I would send it out to that detectormods? Let someone else look at it, DEFINATELY NOT ML. All it will cost you is postage and an evaluation fee.

Payback time: In the early 90's I bought a slightly used Audi 5000S. From a dealer with no maintenance records. I brought it down to AAMCO transmissions on route 9 in Marlboro, NJ. for a fluid change. Some guy not in mechanic uniform possibly a buddy of the owner took my car without my knowledge for a test spin. When he returned he stated my transmission was fried. I replied "how can you come to that conclusion without opening up my transmission and looking at it"? "my car rides fine" I replied. He was gone only 5 minutes. Anyway I took my car for a tranny fluid change somewhere else. I had the car for 4 more years never having problems with my tranny. Score your experience as being screwed. But don't let them touch your detector if they couldn't get it right the first time. Plus screwing it up.

I know others here will swear by ML but it didn't happen to them or me. Probably nothing personal with you and ML just circumstances.

I'm sure someone else has a similar story in life.

Explorer

I don't get this at all. The First thing the tech said to me was that the switchs were ok, that was not what the problem was. What? What do you mean I didn't send it in for switches? The Coil/Rx switch was so worn out you could not tell which coil you had selected? The mode switch was almost as bad. His reply was the switches was working fine so I tried to power it up and it was Dead. What? That's BS I used that detector all day on Thursday the day before I shipped it to ML on Friday it was working fine. And we don't have parts to fix an old 4000. What the Fork? You must have some one else's detector make sure you have the right one, All I needed was the switchs replaced. It works great no other problems. No the switches are fine the board is dead. We'll have to replace the board. What do's that cost? 1100.00. WHAT? I sent you a perfectly working 4000 and now you tell me it blow up in the box on it's way to the repair center? Yeep it was dead when I took it out of the box. :blink::blink::blink::blink:. Oh by the way we don't have the parts to fix it :huh::huh: Let me speak to your Mgr. He is not here. Well let me speak to his Mgr. He is not here either. :o He will call back tomorrow. :angry: When will you have parts to fix it? We have to get the parts from ML AU. When? don't know, I'll have my Mgr call you back. :unsure:

What can I do if he says the detector was DOA when he took it out of the box, I'm screwed. I even insured the damn thing for 3k, so if got busted, or lost by USPS I could get a replacment. Don't know what to do now. I don't think the mailman went on a side hunt, and it was not conected to the battery. It must have self destucted with no power in the mail. :rolleyes: It was one of the good 4000s too, it was very stable, smooth and would hit a .2 grm nugget at 6+" I bought it from Steve H. at AMDS worked great so it's not like it was and E-Bay detector. Just needed two 9.00 switchs. This would almost be funny if it wasn't so madding. What a shity company. Well I'll have a lota great stuff for sale, or I guess I can send it to Woody maybe he can fix it. Anyway I'm never buying anything else from ML again, I plan to make it my personal mission to let everyone I know, about ML's service/repair.

Mine slab just made an enemy out of me.

CH

Dahm ColoradoGoldMan, thats truly BS. After listing what you said, i beleave they fried your MLab. I'd B'tch till they give you a new 5000 replacement. I'd surely be taking them to small claims court..... sorry just stuff like this really busts my bubble.

.......Yello

Hey CH.I'm on the other side of the world and so I don't know how things work where you are. My thoughts are firstly to speak with whoever is in charge and if nothing is resolved verbally then stage two begins. You will need to push whoever it is you have spoken to to provide a written account as to exactly what has transpired and most importantly get them to sign it( in Australia we have a statutory declaration form that is a standard but legal blank form that can be filled out whenever someone is making a statement) I'm not talking about a written appraisal on the box but a written account of their exact involvment in it. Getting people to sign something lets them know your serious and it gives you a clue as to what may be going on.that is....if you have to push them to sign it then you can smell a rat straight off........if their telling the truth then they shouldn't hesitate. Also check your insurance policy.what did it cover you for. Most importantly write everything down.what you did/do what they said etc etc.

just my thoughts for a start..........

Their service department definitely hasn't improved. I think it has gotten worse.

When I call there, I can tell that they don't know what they are talking about when it comes to detectors.

You might as well be giving your detector box to an inexperienced High School kid to repair. I don't know why they would put the repair

facility in Chicago....what a dumb idea. They need people who actually use these things and have interest in detecting, not careless people off the street.

-Don

LOL that funny Yelow Sn0w, After I got off the phone with the tech which I do have his name(with held). I called a number to the a guy that has a lot of pull at ML like realy big. Left a message to return my call :lol: I got the usual ML responce. Nothing, no call back, nothing. So I'm sure I'm SOL big time. Oh well it was fun while it lasted, I really liked that 4000.

Almost a loyal customer.

CH

Hey John W. G'day Mate

Minelab has no legal obligation to sign anything. If they had any sense of duty wouldn't they have said so, and try to say the detector was dead when it was shipped? Which it wasn't. Then offer to take 1100.00 to fix it., when they get part at some future date.

I don't think Minelab has any idea about doing what is right. From what I can tell after dealing with ML on this simple little repair like a switch and ending up with fried detector I just just don't trust them in any form.

Sad but true.

CH

Hello again CH......ok.........venting ones spleen is a last option........and a good one but it's a LAST option. Like I said,option one is to go higher and try to sort things out verbally. Whilst your prob right in that they would have no obligation to give you a written account of what happened....does it not count in your favour when for example (if it ever got to that stage)where your trying to sort it out at a higher level and your happy to provide a stat dec to the effect that the machine was fine when posted and the service people are not prepared to....get my point???

I know what your saying about companies and there ethics.....but give them a chance to do the right thing.speak to someone higher.

If it was me, I would write a letter to MineLab’s Corporate office at PO Box 537 Torrensville Plaza SA 5031, Australia, and a copy to by Certified Mail to MineLab’s office in Downers Grove, IL. Explaining in detail why you sent your machine in and that it was in working order when it was shipped. Then cover what you have been told by the service department in Illinois, include the names of the persons you have spoke with. Also contact the local office of the better business bureau for Downers Grove.

After reading your post (1) and then post (2) I am still not sure if you wanted the cover plate replaced or the switches, no matter the main thing is it was working and now it isn’t. Well that’s my two cents.

Good luck and best wishes,

Howard