Sign in to follow this  
trinityau

Gold for 11 August 2011

Hey all, I got out today for a few hours. It was 97 degrees again so I did not stay out long. I got a good solid signal right off the bat and got a small piece that was really wedged in the bedrock , took me a while to get that bugger out. I went further up the hill and got two more pieces before heading out. I was using the Gold Bug Pro again. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

That gold bug is taking good care of you. Nice pieces :) It is still 91 dregees at 9:30pm here in Shasta Lake. Keep up the good work, and maybe I'll see you out and about one day. And be careful out there. One of my wifes friends, her husband was out near Del Loma in Trinity County on one of the small creeks and took a fall, hit his head and took 80+ stiches to close up his arm. He is about my age late 50s and we just don't heal the way we use too ;)

Cheers,

Howard

Hi Ray

I also have a GB pro, I haven't used it much.

Do you mind giving us all an in depth description of your setup what coil you use, if you look for anything in particular on the display, any tricks at all that you have picked up? because MAN you are just smashing those little ones & I believe we can all learn something from you, way to go Ray.

thanks

Lee

Hey all, I am going to go over the settings that I use on the GB Pro. They really are no different than what the manual calls for. When I turn the unit on with the left knob or power knob, I turn it to about the 1100 position. Next turn the other knob on the right, the mode knob, until you get a slight threshold. At this time simply pump the unit up and down while pushing the ground grab button. You will hear it balance out and you will see it balance out on the right hand lower corner. These numbers will match up with the ground phase numbers. Both numbers will match up or be very close. In the area I work here in Northern California my ground phase numbers are usually somewhere in the nineties. At this time you should have a smooth threshold, if not then rotate the power button down towards the 1000 position or until you can get a smooth threshold. If you are operating over a low mineralization zone you may be able to go up on the power knob and increase sensitivity. I have found that there is not much of an increase in sensitivity past 1100, not really enough to hear the difference on most targets. Once you are ground balanced you are ready to hunt. I do not use headphones while using the GB Pro. The audio response is such that if you have good hearing you will hear even the tiniest signals without headphones. I hunt at a moderate pace and keep the coil off the ground. If the ground changes you will hear the unit falter and all you have to do is pump up and down while pushing the ground grab button and you are rebalanced. The nice thing about the GB Pro is it is very good at telling you what the ground is doing as far as mineralization.

As far as target signals go it is pretty well right by the manual again. While hunting for gold you are looking for a target signal of 40 to 42 on the meter. You are also looking to the left side, bottom corner at the ferrous meter. If the target is gold you generally will have two bars or less. Another thing the unit will do is ground balance over the target at the same numbers, 40 to 42. You will also get that original Gold Bug audio signal that we all like to hear. So there are a couple of ways to assure yourself of the target. Lead will sound off at 43 to the mid 50's. The only other items that will sound off the same as gold will be a real brass casing and old foil. Luckily you dont find much of this in most areas. Some people will have a problem with blasting cap brass but if you listen there is a difference in the sound. Iron and tin will bang at 40 and below and will give you a ferrous indication, usually three or more bars. There will be times , hopefully, that the target meter will read 40 and slam over to 100 while showing no ferrous indication. This usually a bigger piece of gold.

Once you learn to use the unit you will want to play with the discrimination. It really works and works well. I have had a couple of areas that I hunted strictly in Disc mode. One area had a lot of steel shot and lots of gold that was subgrain size and it was on bedrock. The deepest point in the bedrock might have been 4 inches. There was some lead birdshot and lead shards also in the mix. I can turn GB Pro on to the Disc mode and balance the unit. It will be running silent at this time, no threshold. You will set the level of Disc to what the manual calls for, and it is very close. In this mode it was kind of like being in Vegas at the slot machines, I would hunt the bedrock and get an audio beep. All you have to do is look down at the meter. If it is showing 40 to 42 and two bars or less on the ferrous meter then get down on your knees and dig that piece of gold out. The lead bb's will show 43 or more, the steel shot will not be heard, and the lead shards will do the same as the lead bb's. It's fun hunting like this and pretty efficient. If you learn the meter on this unit you will find that it is not off at all. I have learned to trust it as it has beat me many times over.

I will say that I dont think there is a difference between the GB Pro or the Gold Bug II as far as detecting a very tiny piece of gold, sub grainers. If you go over one you will hear it with both machines. The difference I see after using both machines is that because of the ground grab feature you will pick up the in between pieces that you will miss while manually ground balancing with Gold Bug II. Most guys I have watched while hunting with the GB II are so good at balancing the unit that it is done on the move and that two steps of swinging while balancing you could miss a piece. The GB Pro because of the constant ground balance will get you some of those in between pieces. Of course there are guys that balance while standing still but most I have seen are moving.

The ferrous meter can help in finding locations to pan, sluice, drywash... Balance the unit as in normal hunting and disregard any audio signals that you get. You are watching the bars on the ferrous meter. If they go up to show all bars it may be a crevice or area that you want to explore further. Keep in mind that this works in gold bearing areas where the gold is usually accompanied by black sand or iron oxides. In a non gold bearing area you still may have black sand, just no gold. We have a lot of surface pockets of coarse gold in my area. They throw big nuggets and they throw micro gold. When done hunting and not getting any more nuggets you can go over the same place and watch that ferrous meter. If the indications are there you drywash and do pretty good, after cleaning up most times I dont get that ferrous reading any more or it is very low unless you are in deep material. Most of my material is at six inches or less as most of this hardrock gold that is very disseminated will tend to stay to the surface.

I have not really hunted for relics or coins with this unit . Because of the Disc I would imagine it would be great.

I have hunted with the GB Pro right under our gigantic north/south high tension lines and never had a problem. I have not had a problem with EMI either. I have used the coil underwater and not had a problem. I have not noticed any falseing at all.

If you read the manual and learn the unit I think you will have a great time with this unit, it is very easy to use with minimal settings. There are a few other things you that you can do with GB Pro that I wont go into here. If you treat it like any other detector and play with everything before you dig that target you will learn a few more things. This something I have always done, is play with real undug targets in the ground with all the settings that you have. I do not believe in air testing and I wont argue that point at all.

As far prospecting for hardrock this unit does just the same as the GB II , just a little easier. I am sure there are others who will offer more information on the Gold Bug Pro as people start to use it.

I use the stock five inch coil, These are just my ideas and opinions and I hope that others will chime in as I dont know everything about this thing yet and I would like to hear what others say. Thanks, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Ray, I noticed that I dont get much of a readout on small targets. Although the disc readout works great on larger pieces of metal.

I got lucky and found a mini patch with my Bug pro shortly after buying it. I dont remember any of these pieces giving much of a readout on the screen, just a little zip while in all metal mode. I was running the gain about 85 but probably could have run it lower.

post-662-131352027954_thumb.jpg

Hi Ray

Many thanks for taking the time to write up the settings you use and some info on your findings in regards the display, I know this will help me and many others to have a better understanding of this unit, my only problem is that I don't get out enough with it, I tend to use the SD2200d but they both have their place.

once again, thanks

Lee