Hi Everyone,

The October outing this past weekend at Gold Basin was a huge success! We kept our fingers crossed that the bad weather would roll out before Friday hit, and that's exactly what it did. There were blue skies and just enough of a chill in the air to make long sleeves feel good. We just couldn't have ordered better weather!

I didn't get an official head count, but I know the camp was packed on Saturday night, especially when Bunk fired up the grill! :P Many of our fellow prospectors were from Arizona, but quite a few traveled from other states like Montana and Colorado to join us. I had an absolute blast, and it was really good catching up with old friends again. As far as detectable "finds" go, we did really well. I know of at least a dozen nuggets that were found, and probably somewhere around 35 meteorites. On Saturday I dug a 1.5-gram nugget along with a hefty 115-gram meteorite (one of my largest AZ space rocks to date). Bunk dug a nice 3-grammer, Blake got 3 little nuggets, Brent & his father Morris dug a small piece, as did several others. I think the record goes to AJ from Buckeye for the biggest nugget. I believe his piece went over 6-grams! As for meteorites, Frank probably took the award for both quantity and the smallest detected meteorite. Some of the tiny fragments he dug with his 16" mono were unbelievable.

I really had a great time and want to thank all those that were able to join us. You made this a truly memorable outing. I would like to extend a personal thanks to Bunk for his work on the grill and for serving as camp host, Mike Furness for all his help around camp, Walt Hand for his assistance and coil comparison demonstrations, and No Dig'Um Ed and Gordon Zahara for donating food for Saturday night's cook off. Thank you again all, we hope to see you at the Quartzsite Outing which we are planning in mid November...more info to follow soon.

PHOTOS Left to Right: Brent & his father Morris with a new find, Chris Gholson w/ 115g meteorite, Frank inspects his handful of meteorites, Bunk with freshly dug 3-grammer, Blake & AJ with their finds, and Bunk giving field instruction on the X-Terra 705.

post-28-131828544898_thumb.jpg

post-28-131828545421_thumb.jpg

post-28-131828546004_thumb.jpg

post-28-131828546516_thumb.jpg

post-28-131828547452_thumb.jpg

post-28-131828551527_thumb.jpg

You're right about the weather Chris.

It was a pleasure to meet you and many others that I hadn't had the chance to shake hands with before.

And as usual, great to see old friends, and share another campfire, and outlandish stories.....

Patrick.....

Chris,

You would be proud of me; Saturday I found a nice piece of quartz with gold in it. Bunk has a picture of it for you. Not bad for my second ever find. It was great meeting you and Bunk with all the guys, hope to see you in mid November. Brent

hey chris

great outing!

it was good to see you again "and i didnt even crash a wedding this time" lol

bunk good to finaly meet you

same goes for frank c.

and everyone else that i got to put a face on ,but didnt actualy talk to.

see ya in the field some time.

may make the qaurzite outing and even camp a few days this time.

wes: stop by next time your out my way and we will hit 1-0-n

rhino

Hi Everyone,

The October outing this past weekend at Gold Basin was a huge success! We kept our fingers crossed that the bad weather would roll out before Friday hit, and that's exactly what it did. There were blue skies and just enough of a chill in the air to make long sleeves feel good. We just couldn't have ordered better weather!

I didn't get an official head count, but I know the camp was packed on Saturday night, especially when Bunk fired up the grill! :P Many of our fellow prospectors were from Arizona, but quite a few traveled from other states like Montana and Colorado to join us. I had an absolute blast, and it was really good catching up with old friends again. As far as detectable "finds" go, we did really well. I know of at least a dozen nuggets that were found, and probably somewhere around 35 meteorites. On Saturday I dug a 1.5-gram nugget along with a hefty 115-gram meteorite (one of my largest AZ space rocks to date). Bunk dug a nice 3-grammer, Blake got 3 little nuggets, Brent & his father Morris dug a small piece, as did several others. I think the record goes to AJ from Buckeye for the biggest nugget. I believe his piece went over 6-grams! As for meteorites, Frank probably took the award for both quantity and the smallest detected meteorite. Some of the tiny fragments he dug with his 16" mono were unbelievable.

I really had a great time and want to thank all those that were able to join us. You made this a truly memorable outing. I would like to extend a personal thanks to Bunk for his work on the grill and for serving as camp host, Mike Furness for all his help around camp, Walt Hand for his assistance and coil comparison demonstrations, and No Dig'Um Ed and Gordon Zahara for donating food for Saturday night's cook off. Thank you again all, we hope to see you at the Quartzsite Outing which we are planning in mid November...more info to follow soon.

PHOTOS Left to Right: Brent & his father Morris with a new find, Chris Gholson w/ 115g meteorite, Frank inspects his handful of meteorites, Bunk with freshly dug 3-grammer, Blake & AJ with their finds, and Bunk giving field instruction on the X-Terra 705.

Chris and Bunk, and all the Crew, Thanks for a Great Weekend, I learned much, found my 1st nugget, saw a horny toad (Haven't seen one since I was a kid, I still couldn't catch it) Really Great Group of People, Very Friendly and Helpful. Thanks for the X-Terra Help Bunk, You solved some issues for me and it paid off. My Buddy the other Rick enjoyed the whole experience as did I, we got home at 4:00 am in the morning, did hit a fresh hit deer in Devil's Canyon coming out of the desert, almost got air born in my little truck. It was a Rush for sure. See you guys in the dirt somewhere Chasing the Rainbow.

Thanks for the supper Sat. night to all that contributed.

Chris it was a pleasure to meet you and "Lets do it again this season" in some other areas.

I finally beat the skunk on gold Sunday morning with a "dink at depth"

Bunk, thanks for all you do !!!! And I'll see ya again this week maybe we can turn up a monster before you leave.

Hi guys and gals, Got home yesterday late afternoon ... not as long a ride as some folks only 4 hours. Had a great time despite no gold or meteorites. The gold at this moment is meeting new friends and putting forum names to real names and faces. And all my old friends ... great to see you again ... always too long between visits. Looking forward to a trip to Quartzite for another great outing with old firends, newly found friends and friends not yet made!

As for Chris and Bunk ... the force behind this Gold Basin Event ... great job guys! Not sure who provided the tasty side dishes Saturday night but they were great too! Thank you all!

Mike F

CHRIS,GREAT PICTURES,GOLD AND METEOTITES OF THE GOLD BASIN OUTING.WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE. I SPEND MOST OF THE WINTER PROSPECTING IN THE GOLD BASIN AREA.LOOKING FORWARD TO ANOTHER FUN FILLED WINTER THERE SOON.

HARRY

Sorry I missed you Chris. I came into camp around 5 pm on Sunday, they said you had already left at around 2 pm. I had arrived out in the area around 7 am that day and had hit some old patches, and scored 2 Gold Basin dinks quite a ways away from the camp. One thing hasn't changed about Gold Basin, the gold is elusive, but it is out there.

Takes a lot of swinging and a lot of luck, and the right equipment.

I visited with quite a few of the guys that were in camp, without exception, everyone was having a great time.

Doc

Sorry I missed this trip! learned about it to late

I have a brand new Mine-Lab Eureka Gold, and haven't tried it yet. Your Group really sounds great, and I think you know what you're doing. I would like to learn How to use my Eureka Gold to the best of its ability. I belong to the GPAA-Las Vegas, and the GSSN. So who do I join, What Club do you recommend in Arizona? Thanks...TomG

Chris, Bunk & Frank

Thnaks to all-------great time-----good food------nice to meet so many enjoying this great outdoors and prospecting. Had a great time, appreciate all the advice and instructions from everyone. Nice to put some faces with the names on the forum's. Appreciated the pictures-first time my wife has said I looked skinny in a picture. Learned more than I ever knew (nothing) about meteorites. Never even held one in my hand before.

Looking forward to more of these positive experiences

Thanks again

Dutch

Want to add my Thanks to Bunk and Chris also. Just got in bout 4. Between accidents and road work trip took about 1 1/2 hours longer than normal. Had a great time, but in the end started getting burnt out. No gold, but 17 meteorites for around 500 grams, so all was good!

Again, nice to put faces on ol friends and new ones.

Shep

TomG ... If you are a GPAA member you have claims here in AZ that you can hunt. The claim we camped on for the outing was in fact a GPAA claim. There are plenty of claims scattered around AZ depending on where you will be going.

Mike F

I cut the trip short by a couple days and got back yesterday. The outings get better every year! At last count I think there were about 15 nuggets found and lots of space rocks. Several people got there first nugget or space rock on this trip. The weather was great all week though it did get a little warm on the last day. Those of us that were there during the rain could not belive how much it had dried out by the time we left, drywashing was in full swing again!

It was a lot of fun helping the new folks with their detectors and I even learned a thing or two about detectors that I have never run before. I will add a couple of pics later today.

I really want to thank everyone that came out this year, what a great bunch! We are looking to this again next month, will post dates soon.

Bunk

Chris, Bunk & Frank,

Thanks for the opportunity to meet a great group of people of whom many were willing to take the time to show me the ropes and answer my many questions. I arrived at the outing with a freshly purchased Gold Bug Pro and hardly a clue as to how to use it, and not knowing anyone. Bunk was the first person I met and after that I never felt like a stranger. I've spent a lot of time reading about detecting but nothing beats hands-on. Every target I dug was a new learning experience and I acquired quite an impressive collection of junk,..... but no gold or meteorites. It will be just a matter of time and swinging that coil and I will find that nugget with my name on it!

Jack

some pics...

#1 sunrise at Gold Basin.

#2 while I was out checking the roads, I ran into a couple of ducks resting on a puddle in the desert.

#3&4 Brent's Sun. Nugget.

#5&6 The ear ring I found in the drywash pile and my nugget cleaned up

post-2564-131870451963_thumb.jpg

post-2564-131870454307_thumb.jpg

post-2564-131870455777_thumb.jpg

post-2564-131870457728_thumb.jpg

post-2564-131870486008_thumb.jpg

post-2564-131870487083_thumb.jpg

nice photos bunk,did you find the gold and the earing with that new coil for the xterra if so i'd like to know how well it worked with the older 70, send me a pm, thanks bret.

Beatup, I did hunt with the xterra with the big coil the first couple days but just got to busy to do the kind of testing I wanted to.

Harry, Yes, it was solid.

Bunk

Finally got to posting my total finds from attending the G.B. Outing.

The gold specie turned out to be a pretty one after I cleaned it up.

I worked hard from sunup to sundown most days with the 3500 and Nuggetfinder 16 SL a deadly combo for even the smallest targets.

Enjoyed meeting all that showed up and seeing their finds.

See ya all next time out.

Forgot to put Uncle Marvin in my pocket I left him at my campsite but next time I'll carry him with me for the field hunting :o

post-444-131886458054_thumb.jpg

post-444-131886464048_thumb.jpg

post-444-131886495841_thumb.jpg

post-444-131886536841_thumb.jpg