how to recharge my minelab battery in the desert

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on an economical way

to recharge my GPX4000 block style battery while on a week long trip in the middle of no where. I am concerned about draining my truck battery if I use the outlet charger. I am thinking of buying a small 12v car battery as a dedicated source for recharging and then figure it out from there.

I am looking for any good suggestions or ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Hey Mike, I have a 12 Volt jump starter, Pack from Costco, that I bought for $69,00 when they had them a few years ago, You can jump your vehicle, and its got a compressor, and 12 volt Ciigerrett hook up, I used it to recharge mine, It works well, and has been a great saver for me, had to jump off other people many times, Grubstake

The beauty of a small 12V Solar panel is it works when the sun shines and will never overcharge your batteries, put one on the truck or as we do on our camper trailer and you will always be fully charged so recharging the pack will never be an issue.... unless of course it's dark several days in a row.

I use the battery charger pack with an inverter because I don't have a car adapter and it works just fine off of the car or pack. Friends of mine charge directly off the car battery without running the car and have no real problem because the recharge takes very little total power.

Mitchel

What do you charge the jump starter off of in the backcountry?

-------------------------------------------------------------

15 watt solar panel hooked to your truck battery.

Or google goal zero for backcountry solar power, not cheep but it's a no brainier.

Chris, those jumper packs will last for a few weeks, And can be charged off the car or 110. I keep mine in my truck all the time, plugged into the liter, and they have built in cut off, that won't drain your car battery, they just go into float, Grubstake mine is rated at 50 amp hours, you can charge a lot of minelab batteries with that.

I use one of those jump start batteries to run the pump on my Gold Cube all day without affecting it. I know it would charge a detector battery... Like they say, put a little solar panel on it to keep it charged.

My Minelab car charger says it shuts off when the car battery is getting low. Leaving enough juice to still start your car.

I've charged my Minelab brick all night in the truck and it still showed over 12 volts in the morning. I just let the truck idle for a little bit to make sure the battery is recharged. I bet the flashing light on the charger takes more juice than the actual charge per minute.

If I were to get something, I would just get a solar battery keeper you put on the dashboard, plug into the lighter and no worries. Use solar to charge the truck during the day and use the truck to charge the Minelab at anight. Pretty sure they are under a $100 now.