• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lunk... :) your silver war nickel has seen lotsa gold. Keep gridden and beepen... As someone we know says:

... "You Put The Sound To The Ground

.....And You Leave Tracks All Around

..Because Thats The Way Things Get Found"

Tailgate Straight, (gee, that has nice ring to it) :)

By next month and weather permitting, that someone we know and I will be doing just that in the vast Nevada outback. BTW, that silver war nickel was dug out of a nugget patch...

Hey Lunk ... Looks like the year is going well for you. jimbeau and I were talking outside my motel room in Congress AZ yesterday and your name came up regarding some special settings you posted for the GPX5000 fine gold setting. I went looking for an old post but couldn't find it. When you get a chance would you mind reposting them again? I should have written them down ... I will this time. Seems to me they were a little on the extreme side as I recall.

Keep on finding those golden rocks and maybe a meteorite or two if you are in one of those areas.

Mike F

Hey Lunk ... Looks like the year is going well for you. jimbeau and I were talking outside my motel room in Congress AZ yesterday and your name came up regarding some special settings you posted for the GPX5000 fine gold setting. I went looking for an old post but couldn't find it. When you get a chance would you mind reposting them again? I should have written them down ... I will this time. Seems to me they were a little on the extreme side as I recall.

Keep on finding those golden rocks and maybe a meteorite or two if you are in one of those areas.

Mike F

Here you go, Mike:

Front panel: General Search Mode, Special Soil/Timings, Mono or Double D Coil/Rx, Fixed Ground Balance and Threshold at an audible level.

LCD Menu: LCD Backlight 8, Volume Limit 2, General Ground Balance Type, Special Timings/Fine Gold, Very Slow Motion, 18 to 20 RX Gain, Quiet Audio Type, Audio Tone set to personal preference, Stabilizer at 1, Signal Peak at 20, Target Volume 20, Normal Response, Medium Tracking Speed, Iron Reject Off.

I should also add that these settings are optimized for use with an external speaker set-up, as the inbuilt amplifier is a crucial part of the equation. And they work great with any of the timing options.

Good luck out there!

Lunk ... Thanks. Yah ... I only use dual external speakers since Montana showed them to me about 3-4 years ago when I upgraded from my old GP3K to the 4500 and continue to use them on my 5000. I have one of his original designs. The only time I use headphones is at the beach with the crashing waves and extreme wind say 25+ miles and hour. On second thought I probably would just go home with 25+ mph winds! :)

Thanks again. Mike F

Hi Lunk,

Those are interesting settings; especially Volume Limit, Stabilizer, Signal Peak, Target Volume and Gain.

It's fun to read of your adventures.

Continued good hunting,

Flak

Flak, I've been using these settings that Lunk suggested and they are working great. Last week I took 12 small nugs out of a small wash. I used the Sensitive Extra setting instead of the Fine Gold setting.The yellow menal has been hiding from Me for the past few days.

Maybe tomorrow. Lunk has been a great help in getting Me heading in the right direction with my 5000.

Harry

Aww shucks guys, thanks.rolleyes.gif

Well my new and improved Nugget Finder 17-inch elliptical mono coil arrived yesterday, so today I took it to an area where I'd previously snagged six small nuggets. Working my way upslope, I was enjoying how incredibly stable the coil was behaving when I spotted a small saddle just ahead that was loaded with an elluvial deposit of mineralized quartz and schist...juicy!smile.gif I was running in the SENS EXTRA timing, as it gave the best response on the nuggets found in the area so far. A few minutes of slow and careful searching of the eroded quartz rubble was rewarded with a sweet mellow "wee-ooh" from the speakers. Because of the fact that trash in the area is pretty rare, I couldn't help but get excited right away; especially since the target was located in such tasty looking ground. Sure enough, after excavating about 4 inches, a nice little nugget was shining in the scoop! The incredible stability and extreme sensitivity of the new NF 17"EM, along with it's ample coverage and depth capability, definitely makes it my favorite for all-around nuggetshooting.wink.gif

post-1546-129756351614_thumb.jpg

post-1546-129756351794_thumb.jpg

post-1546-12975635201_thumb.jpg

Hey Lunk. Neat sounding settings. High gain with the stabilizer at 1. Volume limit at 2? I understand the stabilizer at 1 and the gain at 20. Can you tell me what running the volume limit that low does? I would assume it affects the sound of a large trash target and presumably a large nugget. I'm in some trashy areas at the moment (square nails). It would be nice to soften them a bit without dumbing the detector down too much. Keep up the good work. I can tell that you are putting in the miles way out on the fringes. That's where you hit those 1 nugget gullies with a real nice size loner nugget. You are about due!!!-----Bob

Hey Lunk. Neat sounding settings. High gain with the stabilizer at 1. Volume limit at 2? I understand the stabilizer at 1 and the gain at 20. Can you tell me what running the volume limit that low does? I would assume it affects the sound of a large trash target and presumably a large nugget. I'm in some trashy areas at the moment (square nails). It would be nice to soften them a bit without dumbing the detector down too much. Keep up the good work. I can tell that you are putting in the miles way out on the fringes. That's where you hit those 1 nugget gullies with a real nice size loner nugget. You are about due!!!-----Bob

Hey Bob,

Although it would seem like the detector is being dumbed down, it's really not:

as you know, the VOLUME LIMIT limits the maximum volume that a target can make, but has no effect on faint targets. That's why I also max the TARGET VOLUME ( the internal amplifier.) So you get maximum signal response on any faint targets, while the responses from large targets close to the coil don't blow your ears off...which makes for a much more enjoyable detecting experience. No more cringing in those trashy areas! Thanks for the well-wishes!

Lunk. I suspected that's what you were doing. I'll have to try it. I hit a little patch of dinks yesterday and was going to post a photo but my 10 year old digital camera took a dump. Betsy said she'd buy me a new one for V-day. Thanks, Bob

Here you go, Mike:

Front panel: General Search Mode, Special Soil/Timings, Mono or Double D Coil/Rx, Fixed Ground Balance and Threshold at an audible level.

LCD Menu: LCD Backlight 8, Volume Limit 2, General Ground Balance Type, Special Timings/Fine Gold, Very Slow Motion, 18 to 20 RX Gain, Quiet Audio Type, Audio Tone set to personal preference, Stabilizer at 1, Signal Peak at 20, Target Volume 20, Normal Response, Medium Tracking Speed, Iron Reject Off.

I should also add that these settings are optimized for use with an external speaker set-up, as the inbuilt amplifier is a crucial part of the equation. And they work great with any of the timing options.

Good luck out there!

Lunk,

I am truly impressed with your settings. I tried them in my back yard (with power lines running about twenty feet away), I had to use my DD coil set in cancel to get a stable threshold. I buried my test nugget about an inch deep, I played with the settings and found one or two of them helped. Then I tried the settings that you have and it was a MAJOR difference. Do you think that if you were to use some other setting other than "Fine Gold" (such as "sensitive extra") it may help with deeper (possibly larger) targets? I ask this as one of the areas that I go to isn't well know for small shallow targets. (I have found a couple larger ones at depth in the past)

It would be an honor to get to go detecting with you sometime. If you ever get back out near Mojave again, I would like to meet up with you.

sourdough

Lunk,

I am truly impressed with your settings. I tried them in my back yard (with power lines running about twenty feet away), I had to use my DD coil set in cancel to get a stable threshold. I buried my test nugget about an inch deep, I played with the settings and found one or two of them helped. Then I tried the settings that you have and it was a MAJOR difference. Do you think that if you were to use some other setting other than "Fine Gold" (such as "sensitive extra") it may help with deeper (possibly larger) targets? I ask this as one of the areas that I go to isn't well know for small shallow targets. (I have found a couple larger ones at depth in the past)

It would be an honor to get to go detecting with you sometime. If you ever get back out near Mojave again, I would like to meet up with you.

sourdough

Hey Sourdough,

I'm glad those settings are helping you out. In my earlier post, I neglected to mention that these settings will work equally well with any of the timing options. If I was searching for larger nuggets at depth, SHARP would be my timing of choice if the ground isn't too mineralized to handle the extra power. And I'll definitely give you a holler next time I'm in the Mohave. Have fun, and good luck out there!

Hey Chris!

I'll probably head back towards the great Nevada outback around the first part of March, depending on the weather there, where I'll spend two or three weeks before making the home stretch. We need to get together before then, my friend...

Lunk

Just thought I would tell you we got about a foot of snow last night so detecting is a little difficult right now...

Ron

Jeez Ron, did you have to use the "s"-word like that?! :lol: Looks like I may have to postpone the return trip north until the weather shapes up...thanks for the update! :)

Hey Sourdough,

I'm glad those settings are helping you out. In my earlier post, I neglected to mention that these settings will work equally well with any of the timing options. If I was searching for larger nuggets at depth, SHARP would be my timing of choice if the ground isn't too mineralized to handle the extra power. And I'll definitely give you a holler next time I'm in the Mohave. Have fun, and good luck out there!

Lunk, thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to try it next time I get out. Looking forward to hunting with you sometime.

sourdough

I attemped to set my GPX5000 up in the CUSTOM search mode to Lunk's setting as listed on this thread. I understood that once one of the three search modes was set up those setting would stick to that search mode. I thought I could then change to Deep or General and the rear LCD panel setting would switch to the factory or other setting I had all ready programmed but this does not happen? Switching from Deep, General or Custom makes no difference on the LCD menus - it all stays to what I set??? Any ideas?

great stuff Lunk always love seeing your gold and that your getting it consitantly, this was the first week ive got the skunk in a while but i did get sidetracked trying to see if the grass was greener on the other side. Its like Lucky says dont leave gold to find gold, keep it up cant wait to see more....Justin

• 2 weeks later...

The weather is still perfect here in the big Q, cool.gif and the nuggets are still popping; here's the latest batch...the largest piece weighs 2 grams.

post-1546-129963704047_thumb.jpg

post-1546-129963704292_thumb.jpg

post-1546-129963704455_thumb.jpg

post-1546-129963704646_thumb.jpg

Lunk,

Thanks for the great tuning set-up that you posted. I finally got to go out and try it today. It works great as far as I'm concerned. I found two little nuggets with it. The first one was .48 grams and the second one was 4.65 grams. As soon as I downlode the pics, I'll add them. The small one was about 5" inches deep and the bigger one was around 10" inches. Keep up the great job that you're doing out there.

Thanks again,

sourdough

post-954-129963986179_thumb.jpg