As a new member wanted to say hello to the forum members and thanks to AZO and all the folks who keep this forum going.

I am an Arizona native who spends my free time outdoors. For the last many years in pursuit of good Arizona fishing holes and back canyons with little traffic. My 9 year old son got me started in prospecting, he picked up the idea he wanted to go out metal detecting so we got him a little unit form the local Big 5 and hit a couple of parks and so on. Then he got the idea and shared it with me that guys were finding gold in the wild using metal detectors. This idea was totally new to me back in December but I sure was interested. We took to the hills armed with our $89 dollar detector and a few gold pans and from then on we got it....GOLD FEVER. Gold prospecting was a natural fit to our outdoor lifestyle that includes fishing, hiking, backpacking and 4 wheelin' and remote wilderness camping.

We have yet to see a flake of yellow for our efforts but I am sure it will come some time. The reward now is being outdoors, exploring new areas of the state, finding some peace, watching the whitetails dance over the hills and spending some real QT with my kid and close friends. I am swinging a GPX5000 now and a member of a few clubs and my son is often right by my side, he can hike a whole day and dig holes without a word of complaint.

I have had the 5000 about three weeks now and got about 40 hours behind it in the Greaterville DGD claims. I am starting to feel comfortable with the detector so with any luck soon I'll be posting picture of our first little nugget!!!......till then we be helping to clean up the unwanted lead and rusty tin from the watersheds of southern Arizona....:)

Thanks for the great forum and all the input from members and administrators that have help motivate and move us into this new activity I enjoy so much. We'll see you out there and good luck to all.

Jason - GO CATS!

Hey Jason! I really enjoyed reading your introduction. As a son, father, and now grandfather, I can appreciate the feeling of being out in the great outdoors with your boy. Welcome! You will find a lot of folks here eager to answer your questions, and to share in your gold prospecting success. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress, and snap some pictures on one of your outings! DGD is a GREAT group! If you run into Mark Paris down there, Tell him Terry said hey! - Terry

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the AZO Forum! :) We're always glad to gain a person such as yourself who has a passion for the outdoors and this wonderful hobby of ours! That is great that you get to spend time out in the field with your son. Some of my best memories have come from the many prospecting trips I've made with my own father over the years. They are far more valuable than the gold...Wishing you guys the very best of luck out there, and look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future!

Terry - thanks for all the great youtube vids - I have enjoyed watching them.

Yea I decided if I didn't get a Minelab I would be left wondering if I was leaving nuggets behind......I think we all still wonder that anyhow?

Chris - thanks - I got that Pro-Pick and magnet from you just in time for my brithday yesterday and took the day off to go out. That pick is REALLY nice and with the super magnet on top and the smaller one on the handle I have cut the time to isolate a target to less then half. I have also really enjoyed the freedom of the external speaker. But yesterday I was hunting a remote little canyon and thinking at times this Minelab kinda sounds like a wounded woodpecker predator call we use to use when it hits a target.....maybe its just me but I kept looking over my shoulder waiting for a mountain loin to be stalking me. It's really to much noise for a loin I'm sure, but I bet I could call in a coyote with it if I tried too...... :blink: