Hi All,

I thought you guys would enjoy seeing a picture of the prospecting rig my buddy has been working on. He got everything at auctions and it was in pretty bad shape, but after some really long nights spent in the garage, he has it up & running. The Blazer has a regular command center built in with all kinds of radios & navigation equipment. The trailer has tons of clearance and is perfect for hauling the quad or camping gear. He has all kinds of other neat gadgets which I will try to get some photos of when I see him next month. Anyway, thought you'd like to have a look. If anyone else has shots of their off-road rigs, please feel free to add to this post.

post-28-129807928413_thumb.jpg

Wow Chris, what a sweet ride; all he needs to do now is waterproof and pressurize it, and it will be ready for the long haul to Australia! :lol:

Gotta see more...I was/am planning a similar rig and am looking for a 4/4 diesel suburban. Missed one here in Houston by a day or two. I am going to have to redesign the communications console I was going to mount in it though...my wife saw what I was planning and said "And just where the hell do you think I am going to sit." I did not want to start WW4 (WW3 has already started but most folks don't know it yet) so I said I would make some modifications....

That rig looks like you might expect a mounted Browning M2 .50 Cal would pop out of the roof.

The Texan

Here is mine all set up in camp... The Toy has a supercharged 300hp engine and the E-2 trailer will go just about anyplace the truck can plus it carries my ATV!

post-3708-1298219003_thumb.jpg

Terry if your going to drool at least wipe it off and then get on a plane and get out here. Prospecting should be good with this newly dampened ground. :) :) :)

Mike F

No offense Texan but you would be better off without the old 5.7 or 6.2 diesel in a suburban. They are pigs. Low on power and the early GM diesels where really garbage engines. I myself drive a 72 K10 4x4. Better than a K5 in my opinion. Match it up with a 383 stroker motor for the best performance. Dennis

No offense Texan but you would be better off without the old 5.7 or 6.2 diesel in a suburban. They are pigs. Low on power and the early GM diesels where really garbage engines. I myself drive a 72 K10 4x4. Better than a K5 in my opinion. Match it up with a 383 stroker motor for the best performance. Dennis

Thanks for the tip...

I knew the diesel engines that GM put in some of their passenger cars were POS....converted gas engines that could not take the stress. Also one problem was that people that bought them tried to drive them like gas powered cars....won't work. I have had 2 diesel Benz (300d) and they both lasted over 500k miles before I got tired of paying more for diesel fuel than gasoline. I still have not figured that one out yet.

I drove by my local Toy store today and they have a brite yellow '07 FJ Crusier on the lot. A geology buddy of mine has a '77 Land Crusier that he bought new and swears buy it...but I really want to buy U.S. if I can.

The Texan

Is he running two huge like 8 foot CB whips? Nice rig!

Here's my old dog....favorite add on...dual battery system with solar panel and ARB fridge.

Nice JK there AzOverland. I gotta ask you, where did you get your winch and roof Rack? I'm looking at maybe getting both for my JK here pretty soon.

That is definitely my kinda ride...although i prefer the desert camo, here's the Bucket-Mobile.post-37253-129816133132_thumb.jpg

Bucket,

I find your box over the camper shell interesting. I have seen some of those pop up tent type things. What is yours used for?

Matt

Nice JK there AzOverland. I gotta ask you, where did you get your winch and roof Rack? I'm looking at maybe getting both for my JK here pretty soon.

I made the roof rack rack, I really like the way it mounts thought the hard top. I can remove it in about 5 minutes and the side tubes hold water and my fishing poles and mount independent of the rack. The winch is just a Smittybilt XRC8 but the front bumper at the time was something I put together too. I have new front bumper on now so if you want that modded out stock one I still have it lying around it think......I know for sure I still have the winch plate I used, maybe not the bumper.

Matt i use the rack up top for storage, I store all the poles needed to set up a shade tarp, i store the full size BBQ, 10 or so Geo-Boxes, some spare gas, a couple of Kot-Tents, some foldable tables, its got alot of room up there.

Hi All,

I thought you guys would enjoy seeing a picture of the prospecting rig my buddy has been working on. He got everything at auctions and it was in pretty bad shape, but after some really long nights spent in the garage, he has it up & running. The Blazer has a regular command center built in with all kinds of radios & navigation equipment. The trailer has tons of clearance and is perfect for hauling the quad or camping gear. He has all kinds of other neat gadgets which I will try to get some photos of when I see him next month. Anyway, thought you'd like to have a look. If anyone else has shots of their off-road rigs, please feel free to add to this post.

Yeehaa! I just found my new prospectin buddy.....Bring that rig up here to montana and we,ll even lock in the hubs and open gates for ya ! And since Im a licensed HAM can I play with the radio equipment ? I grumble alot about diggin bullets and old nails all day, but I gotta admit, I could keep a real good attitude if I was ridin in that truck. Thanks for the picture Chris. We"ll be expectin to see you guys using it in some of the prospecting stories.....

Greetings John Windsor,

I used to buy up many antiques. Learned a lot from their study, to expensive now. When a person buys things that go along with them, it's called "go withs". Relating to anything going along with collecting antiques. This is what we go along with when prospecting. As you probably know the camo paint is a hunter stealth, GI Joe, gung ho, military thing. It just looks cool on older vehicles as well.

AZOverland,

Love your jeep it's similar to mine. They are great climbing at high altitudes. Along steep, rocky, narrow shelf, scare the hell out of you mountain roads. They are true explorers.

please don't take offence as none is meant........but what is it with you "yanks" and camoflage?.....Most of the pics on this thread are of your vehicles with camo paint jobs...I don't get it.......

I like the camouflage mainly because it makes my camp harder to spot. There are peeps out there that cruise the mountain and deserts roads. They aren’t prospectors or hunters or even fishermen but thefts. Do the math a man and wife team: Two detectors alone could be worth up to 10,000.00 (GPX 5000) along with sluices either wet or dry, pans, gold on hand and your personal possessions. Now this may sound like an over active case of paranoia, however I have lived through it and am glad I was alone when it happened. The wife doesn’t like fishing, hunting or prospecting so she would have been in camp reading or resting when they came. I was on the Sacramento River fly fishing when one of them approached the rivers edge and asked how was the fishing. I turned to look at him and said that I had picked up one brown and noticed that he wasn’t wearing waders and had no pole. Every alarm in my brain was going off, so I moved a little farther into the river and changing my positing so I could see him and continued casting as if nothing was wrong. Again he spoke to me asking and motioning for me to come to him. I moved my fly rod to my left hand and turned to face him while sliding my hand moving my jacket back to reveal the sidearm on my hip and asked him what he wanted. He turned and fled back towards my camp and I followed. I could hear voices up hill from me and then a car starting and driving away. When I reached my car I found the drivers side window smashed in my stereo was ruined and from my camp well they took everything cook stove, tent ,ice chest. Made for a bad day but it could have been worst.

Howard

Man...thats a bummer Howard, I like to roll with a pit, its not much.. but if your close by atleast a few barks could give you a heads up, especially at night. Good thing you had yer gatt or it could have been a really rough day, and that is exactly the reason mines painted the way it is too