If Anyone Has Doubt as to Depth capabilities of the GPX5000

If anyone has any wonderings about what a GPX5000 and a 14"NF Advantage E-Mono can do take a look at this picture. 45 minutes to dig the "prize" through a couple layers of semi cements LSD gravels and 24 inches deep. It was just a change in the threshhold that made me start. The worst part was the bad feeling I had when my plastic scoop hit that soft tell tale feel of tin! Anyway if your interested I was using mostly Lunks setting. volume at 2, general, fine gold, rx at 11, stab at 9,tracking very slow, target vol at 20, signal peak 20. Front panel General, Enhanced(ton of hot rocks where I was), mono, fixed and threshold at 1 o'clock.

At first I thought maybe it was a tobacco can andd maybe it had nuggets in it ... wishful thinking! It was the size of the tobacco can but flat as a pancake.

Mike f.

Oops! ... Would help to add the picture!

post-179-129859879853_thumb.jpg

post-179-129859881497_thumb.jpg

NICE DIG, BUT MIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE BORROWED A HERMIT PICK YOU COULD HAVE DUG THE HOLE QUICKER AND WITH LESS EFFORT FER SURE.

I'M NOT KIDDING EITHER. GOT MY FIRST DEEP SIGNAL WITH MY NEW P.I. ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO AND WHAT A PLEASURE TO HAVE HAD THE HERMIT PICK SHOVEL SIDE TO DIG/SCOOP OUT A NICE DISH SHAPED HOLE.

GOOD LUCK AN HAPY HUNTN HOPE THE NEXT ONES A GOLDEN DREAM AT THE BOTTOM.

Frank ... I had my big pick back at the truck but the truck was a half mile away at that point. It's not the herman but the pick that AZO carried just before starting to carry the herman. It has a wide blade on the spade side too and a 34" handle that would have made that dig a lot easier as you noted. Everything else I have dug since being here this year has been 8" or less so the choice of picks to carry was simple. Let's see ... under 3 pounds or over 5 pounds of pick ... which one do I want to carry? Hmmm! :)

Mike F

Geez Mike, you are getting your exercise out there! :D That is an awesome hole for a smaller sized coil!

Digs like that can wear a guy down physically and mentally, but sweet targets like that are sure hard to ignore. Most are junk, but every now and then Mother Nature tosses in a nice surprise...The next one will be a solid 3-ouncer. Thanks for the great pics!

Yes sir, I have dug a couple of holes that deep and am using just the stock mono coil. After you get down about a foot the detector really starts singing at you with those larger targets but that first little bump in the thershold gets you hoping you're on a deep prize! And I have to say one more time I really love the Hodan ProPick.

For Frank C. & Mike F.

I kind of agree with both of you. What do you do when deciding on what main tool to bring with you on the field. We can always bring an extra fold up shovel that would work. But then there is the ever increasing weight and clutter factor.

Early last year I picked up what I believe is a Goldstalker pick?, from Doc's I believe. But it wasn't working for me. The head was to heavy. So I grinded it down thickness wise. Much better now and still strong. I changed out the handle to a longer 24" lighter weight wood. With 24" seems the go with many detectorists. You can hang it on a belt loop, carry it downward with one hand or sling over the shoulder. Then there was another issue for me. That's digging or scrapeing (sp). So I brought it to a blacksmith who hammered or stamped a slight curvature to the sides inward. Thus making it more scrape and scoop friendly. I then grinded a nice bevelled sharp edge on the wide flat part. Replaced that cheap iron pin to a case hardened bolt with lock washer. Leave a little extra bolt and hammer it down. Best of both worlds lock washer nut and flattened pin. I then shaved, rounded and smoothed the bottom 5" of the handle ever so slightly. For a better grip for my hand.

Moral of story: Customize your tools that bests suits your needs. Ever try rolling a bowling ball from the rack down an alley. That 15 pound ball feels like cannonball to some. Yet if you have a custom made bowling ball fitted to your hand. That 15 pound ball feels like nothing.

I hope this info helps.

Jim

For Frank C. & Mike F.

I kind of agree with both of you. What do you do when deciding on what main tool to bring with you on the field. We can always bring an extra fold up shovel that would work. But then there is the ever increasing weight and clutter factor.

Early last year I picked up what I believe is a Goldstalker pick?, from Doc's I believe. But it wasn't working for me. The head was to heavy. So I grinded it down thickness wise. Much better now and still strong. I changed out the handle to a longer 24" lighter weight wood. With 24" seems the go with many detectorists. You can hang it on a belt loop, carry it downward with one hand or sling over the shoulder. Then there was another issue for me. That's digging or scrapeing (sp). So I brought it to a blacksmith who hammered or stamped a slight curvature to the sides inward. Thus making it more scrape and scoop friendly. I then grinded a nice bevelled sharp edge on the wide flat part. Replaced that cheap iron pin to a case hardened bolt with lock washer. Leave a little extra bolt and hammer it down. Best of both worlds lock washer nut and flattened pin. I then shaved, rounded and smoothed the bottom 5" of the handle ever so slightly. For a better grip for my hand.

Moral of story: Customize your tools that bests suits your needs. Ever try rolling a bowling ball from the rack down an alley. That 15 pound ball feels like cannonball to some. Yet if you have a custom made bowling ball fitted to your hand. That 15 pound ball feels like nothing.

I hope this info helps.

Jim

lOVE SEEING MODIFED STUFF - POST A PICTURE OF IT......SOUNDS NICE

Mike,

It is amazing the depth's the GPX 5000 can obtain. As far as thoughts to what you and Frank discussed about tools. Here as requested by AZOverland is a pic of my slightly modified for me, pick. The alteration at the bottom of handle can be noticed. However at the time I only had spray satin finish polyurethane not gloss. I just left it that way but it is still protected. The curvature to the blade is slight. But an improvement for scraping, scooping or digging. Widest width is 5 1/4" length of blade is 10 1/2". If both pics don't come through I will send the other shortly.

Jim

post-38321-129868442884_thumb.jpg

post-38321-129868449419_thumb.jpg

Nice Modification! Looks like a great efficient tool. Mike F