Hi Folks,

Planning on joining the GPAA soon and probably a local club in Tucson before

making a trip out this fall. Just wondering if GPAA has any claim sites around

Tucson or the general area worth exploring?

Thanks

JP

theres good gold on the gpa greaterville claims its deep though , ive seen some BIG pieces come off the northwest portion . Strap a big coil on(helps with grass and gets the deep gold) and hit those hillsides , try to stay away from the wash its too deep and has more trash than you can dig in a lifetime. Hope this helps....Justin

Thanks Folks,

Looks like the local club has about 20 something claims ranging in size from 60 acres to 160 acres. Mostly

south of Tucson and a couple up north. Membership fees are reasonable and that's plenty of room for me.

Hell I might even join the GPAA and have all the bases covered before I head on out.

Couldn't determine if a member is allowed to search the claims without other members or not, I'm kinda of

a freelancer when it comes to detecting but I've got plenty of time to sort that all out.

Thanks for the input

JP

morgan ... If you join the GPAA you get a huge book of claims all across the country ... you have access to all of those GPAA claims even in areas where you don't join a local club. If it is in the book you have access at any time and can do it by yourself or with other members ... that choice is yours. However if you are going to be in one or two particular areas it is a good idea to belong to a local club if for no other reason than their local knowledge.

Mike F

Mike-I think that's good advise. I was looking at LDMA but that yearly membership is a little pricey!

I would rather save the money for a gold dedicated detector, got an MXT and plan on spending the next

few months researching the Minnelab 705 - Fisher GB and maybe a good look at the Whites GMT

from what I've seen so far there all pretty good gold machines.

JP

Gosh... I accidentally opened this post as my (late) younger

brother (Tom)lived in Sierria Vista while working at Fort Huachuca as a civilain... This was back about 1979 or 1980... I had a copy of "contributions to economic geology, 1909, part I. USGS Bulletin 430". This Bulletin contains short papers and preliminary reports.

One of which was pgs. 11-22 by J.M. Hill, "Notes on the Placer Deposits of Greaterville Arizona"... It had a crude sketch map of the placer camp showing the distibution of the dikes veins formations placer gravels existing roads, and names of the gulches.

I crudly xerograped Tom a copy of Hills preliminary paper with the small sketch. To get to point, Tom went there several times

and his detector was a Gold Mountain "Boss" VLF with a 7.5 coil... (manufactured about 1978 by permission of Garrett).

As I best remember, using the sketch map and information in the report Tom found a nugget about one pennyweight. However, the early placer miners back in the 1870-1880s had pretty well worked out the gravels and the miners had left.

J.M. Hills preliminary investigation (1909) was not very

enthusiasic as to using the recovery equipment available at the

time... However, with modern metal detectors any open ground could now be worth detecting. If the GPAA has any claims in the area, Hill references the early 1870-1880 production. And mentions the largest nugget ever reported found in the camp

weighed 37 ounces. (1883)

Hope this helps :) ... Jim Straight; Mackay School of Mines; Geological Engineering 1954...

44 Blackhawk.... WOW... that is it. I have an original copy of Bulletin 430... it is in poor condition but I had a restored

copy of the original made... Back over 50 years ago I collected old out of USGS Bulletins and other state publications. I did moonlighting as a small mining consultant

but kept my day Job :D.

My best was in 1982. It was my largest $$$ and the hardest challenge was to keep the staff mining engineeer sober and it was to be my last.

However, my last was in 2002. I'm now older(!) and wiser(?)...But when I look at the chances I took going underground in some of the long abandoned portals... I know I was STUPID!

How easily I could have been mashed, slabbed, or crushed...

With the high grade deposites exhausted... the industry turned

to seeking lower grade deposits that could be economical...

And it was dummies like me who went out and did it...

44 Blackhawk.... WOW... that is it. I have an original copy of Bulletin 430... it is in poor condition but I had a restored

copy of the original made... Back over 50 years ago I collected old out of USGS Bulletins and other state publications. I did moonlighting as a small mining consultant

but kept my day Job :D.

My best was in 1982. It was my largest $$$ and the hardest challenge was to keep the staff mining engineeer sober and it was to be my last.

However, my last was in 2002. I'm now older(!) and wiser(?)...But when I look at the chances I took going underground in some of the long abandoned portals... I know I was STUPID!

How easily I could have been mashed, slabbed, or crushed...

With the high grade deposites exhausted... the industry turned

to seeking lower grade deposits that could be economical...

And it was dummies like me who went out and did it...

Mr Straight - Thank you for the info. I think I have one of your books in my library.

Blackhawk - Thanks for the upload great piece of info.

Ron - Are the maps from GPAA? One question - what's the situation on illegals down there?

Don't know if a .357 or a 9mm or a .45 would be appropriate or maybe all 3.

JP

I been spending alot of time in Greaterville this last month. No problems with illegal traffic yet, there is alot of Broader Patrol presence in the area and one day they had two C-31 gunships flying super low and slow criss-crossing that whole valley - whatever they were doing really messed up my thershold. I always pack my XDM.