Interested in everyone's take on GPS and mapping supported by that GPS. I am currently using a Magellan Triton 500 and NatGeo Topo mapping to support the unit. I really am less then impressed by the unit it continues to "freeze up" and drain batteries. Also the map transfer from the Topo program sucks......

AzOverland,

For a GPS I am still using the Garmin eTrex (the inexpensive yellow one). Very simple operation and it does most everything I need. The price tag insn't too bad either; I think they now sell for around $75. For Topos on the PC, I mostly use a set put out by National Geographic. It is an 8 disc set that I believe has over 1,900 7.5' maps. A friend uses some by iGage and he seems to be happy.

Garmin makes a number that take memory sticks. In many states you can then buy a memory stick for your state and the map will show you if you are on private land and also give you the land owners name, state land, blm, national park land. I just got the gps map 60csx garmin and am soon planning on getting the stick. Huntinggpsmaps.com will get you to the memory stick web site

Garmin's the name then. Today my Magellan just crapped out. Reads "fatal error" all the Triton forums say that's it the thing is done for. I have used it very, very little - what a hunk of junk. Magellan won't even service it. Never again. I had an old ETrek for years and it worked great, I just wanted something that could display maps. So much for an upgrade......back to Garmin, never buy another Magellan, if this unit has 2 hours of on time I would be surprised.

You can never go wrong with any of the Garmin handhelds. I personally use an eTrex Vista HCx with Garmins Topo Software. It's really nice because you can download waypoints and tracks to your computer.

I was using the Nat Geo Topographic software but it's to pricey because you can download the same USGS topo maps for free and view them in Google Earth. There's even a free iPhone app that has all the USGS topo maps on it too which is useful sometimes while in the field.

I have the Garmin GPSMap60CSx ... Great handheld and have had it for about 4 years now. I have the Garmin New England(for NH and Maine) and Mountain South(for AZ) chips. They really help when Trying to locate where you are on a topo map. The chips are very detailed and almost as good as the 24000 scale 7.5 paper topo maps. The new model that has replaced the 60 is the 62. It has internet access to google maps as I have been lead to believe. If you can find a left over 60 still in the box for $100 or less buy it. At one point it was a $449 unit. I think I paid $399. The chips I bought separately. I also bought the latest issue of Nat Geo Topo CD for AZ. It is the complete set of 7.5 topo maps and elevations, ... you can print any map or parts of a map combined with another to make exactly the paper map you need to carry. The two combined put me exactly where I want to go.

Mike F

Delorme Topo USA and Delorme PN-40. Nothing else like it yet. Not only full topo maps but also color aerial survey satelite images can be downloaded right onto the unit. They also have a newer and more capable PN-60. No other gps I have found has this capability. The aerial imagery requires a $30 annual subscription but this allows you to get all the data you will ever need for entire USA, Canada and Mexico. Buy the unit and it comes with Topo USA 9.0. Pay $30 a year for all the downloads you need. Also available in the downloads are NOAA nautical charts and high resolution aerial imagery as well as high definition city data for some cities. New stuff added all the time. Been useing mine for about 2 years now and I love it. Dennis

I have had 2 mapping Magellans in the past 12 years. Both crapped out on me. I have been using a Garmin Colorado for the last 2 years. So far I am very happy with it. It also doubles as a very capable driving gps. Here is a website for free topos that work with Garmins. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ I use the AZ one. Its more detailed than the topos sold by Garmin.

Mike

I have had 2 mapping Magellans in the past 12 years. Both crapped out on me. I have been using a Garmin Colorado for the last 2 years. So far I am very happy with it. It also doubles as a very capable driving gps. Here is a website for free topos that work with Garmins. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ I use the AZ one. Its more detailed than the topos sold by Garmin.

Mike

I agree the maps are more detailed and the price is right---Mike C... :ph34r:

Dennis,

Do you know if there is a Ram mount that will fit either the PN-40 or PN-60? I have a Garmin now, but discovered the Delorme units shortly after buying it and found they were head and shoulders better than the Garmins. The latest Delorme will be my next GPS for sure.

Mike

Had an ol Magellan Platinum and wanted to upgrade. Went to the Garmin Oregon 300 w/ downloadable map program. I was looking for something w/ a larger screen. The 300 is not a bad GPS, but can't see screen in the daylight! Complained to Garmin, but they said 'they've had no problems'. Yet on some GPS forum sites, others have complained and now the -50 series (ie 350,450) advertise the screens can be read in direct sunlight. I'm back using my ol Platinum.

Shep

I really enjoy my Delorme PN-40. The map's are great. A larger screen would be nice though. Actually, the Delorme screen shows best when in direct sunlight! That's a real nice feature for sure.

I still have an older Magellan "Color" that I will use for backup if necessary. It served me well for many years.

Patrick.....

Dennis,

Do you know if there is a Ram mount that will fit either the PN-40 or PN-60? I have a Garmin now, but discovered the Delorme units shortly after buying it and found they were head and shoulders better than the Garmins. The latest Delorme will be my next GPS for sure.

Mike

Mike,

Yes there is are several Ram mounts made for the PN-40, (all models use the same mount, only the base of the mount changes) I have one for my truck and one that mounts on the handle bars of my quad. (I can use the power outlet on the quad and plug it in and don't have to worry about draining the battery) I don't remember the price but you can order them from DeLorme's web site.

Hope this helps you.

sourdough

Sourdough,

Thanks for the info. I have a Ram mount attached to the roll bar on our RZR that fits my Garmin. When I switch over to the PN40 or 60 I'll be able to use the roll bar part, just buy the PN mount and be ready to go.

Mike

Beware on the yellow etrex though, you can't enter waypoints into it, say for example you found a place on google earth, you wouldn't be able to enter those points into the gps. The blue version does allow one to manually enter waypoints.

Sorry I am slow to respond. I as well use the Ram mount on my quad. Awesome units for navigation and mapping. Get on Delorme e-mail list they run specials about every other week. Last week they had Topo USA 9.0 for $69.95 with a free wireless Delorme gps for use with a laptop. A smoking deal I must say. They often have the Ram mount on sale for $19.95. The new PN-60 is attractive but a little pricey. No more than a Garmin though. However it comes with Topo 9 which also has high definition color satelite imagery available. The $30 a year for unlimited downloads is very nice in my opinion. I have about 2/3 of Az. in topo and color satelite at my disposal. Get an 8gb flash card and you can have a ton of maps and imagery on the device. I have all the club claims I belong to all marked out and added in as well so I always know where I am. I do each club a different color so I know at a glance which I am on as well. Allows you to adjust at what zoom level you see topos or aerials so as you zoom in it automatically changes to satelite imagery. All kinds of stuff you can do with the Delorme units that you can't with anything else. Dennis